Jazz

Trailer repair

Hitched up the trailer last week and noticed a crack.

I'm assuming I just need to get this welded right? 

image.png.b628286ad89b650506f263a7afdf0b9d.png

I know how I'd weld it. Bring it over.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Mocha1545 said:

Take it ti Tim. He’ll do a great job. Not worth not doing it right!

Checks in the mail, bro.

I replace mine recently. Cut welds and welded on a new one. Replaced the front support also. Total $150.  Can get online or at Tractor Supply for a little be higher price. 

Thats a nice one. Too much weight up front? Drill, weld, fish plate it or put a new one on. Either way everything is just about repairable.

6 minutes ago, Lucafu1 said:

Thats a nice one. Too much weight up front? Drill, weld, fish plate it or put a new one on. Either way everything is just about repairable.

I'm in the replace it camp unless it's rig it just to get it home.

I would cut the old one off and weld a new one on. You can repair it, but it might be ready to crack somewhere else too. 

If you are going to repair it you need to stop drill the crack, grind it, weld it, and plate it. I would also plate the opposite side since you have an known weak point. 

Depending how it is attached it may be easier to cut the whole thing off and weld a new one on. 

If it's what I think it is (not the best pic), it's not a critical part. It's a lever to give you some extra leverage when retracting the spring loaded sliding coupler on the hitch.

I'd reinforce it while repairing it.  They used too thin gauge steeI manufacturing it. I have one on a livestock trailer that bent from fatigue but never broke.

Pm me if you want me to come fix it.  Seems we're always talking about this trailer.

10 hours ago, Edge said:

If it's what I think it is (not the best pic), it's not a critical part. It's a lever to give you some extra leverage when retracting the spring loaded sliding coupler on the hitch.

I'd reinforce it while repairing it.  They used too thin gauge steeI manufacturing it. I have one on a livestock trailer that bent from fatigue but never broke.

Pm me if you want me to come fix it.  Seems we're always talking about this trailer.

Thanks Edge. We'll set something up. Appreciated.

Here's some more pics to explain size and scope..

Side view / full view of the trailer that's damaged. (And a million bags of weeds going to the dump Thursday)

Here's the trailer (Last pic) I wish was 5" longer so I could get the Ranger in.. Still haven't sold that sucker, probably will. I think that's the one you thought might be damaged..

IMG_2123.jpg

IMG_2122.jpg

IMG_2124.jpg

Just put two arms on the gate so it sits back about 15 degrees.  Did that with mine and it worked.  I also backed it on and that saved a few inches with the bed hanging over.  Plus, your headlights and windshield will not get hit with road debris.  

11 minutes ago, bigj23 said:

Just put two arms on the gate so it sits back about 15 degrees.  Did that with mine and it worked.  I also backed it on and that saved a few inches with the bed hanging over.  Plus, your headlights and windshield will not get hit with road debris.  

Apologies.. I meant wider, not longer. It may be long enough, but the width isn’t quite there.