Outdoor Writer

AGFD - 2020-21 dove, band-tailed pigeon regulations

Logo

GAME AND FISH NEWS

July 20, 2020

2020-21 dove, band-tailed pigeon regulations available online
Dove season opens Sept. 1 

Dove_Hunting_-_Early_Light.JPG?153394800

PHOENIX — The Arizona Game and Fish Department has posted the 2020-21 Arizona Dove and Band-tailed Pigeon Regulations online at www.azgfd.com/Hunting/Regulations.

The regulations have been produced in a downloadable format that hunters will find handy in the field. The color brochure is easy to read and features important hunting information, such as season dates, daily bag and possession limits, and legal requirements, at a glance.

All hunters 18 and older must possess a valid Arizona hunting license, as well as a migratory bird stamp for the 2020-21 season — both of which can be purchased online now at www.azgfd.com/license/. A youth combination hunt/fish license (for youth hunters 10 to 17) is only $5 and includes a migratory bird stamp.    

For everything else “dove,” visit www.azgfd.gov/dove

Dove hunters play an important role in conservation. Wildlife and Sport Fish Restoration Program (WSFR) funds are comprised of excise taxes collected on the sale of hunting and fishing equipment (including 11 percent on ammunition), the benefit of which comes right back to Arizona for habitat improvements, shooting ranges, boating access and more.

You've done so much different stuff.  One of the regs is on Snipe.  Is that a real thing?  (kind of like crow hunting in AZ)  Have you ever? Pics?  I always thought snipe hunting involved gullible kids, a garbage can lid and a bag!  :D

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Big Tub said:

You've done so much different stuff.  One of the regs is on Snipe.  Is that a real thing?  (kind of like crow hunting in AZ)  Have you ever? Pics?  I always thought snipe hunting involved gullible kids, a garbage can lid and a bag!  :D

Far as I know, the snipe hunting is for real, but I've never done it. Same for band-tails. I saw a couple of the latter in Unit 1 many, many years ago. If I ever saw a snipe, I sure don't recall. 

1 hour ago, Big Tub said:

They are a shorebird. Probably at least a dozen subspecies.

2 hours ago, Big Tub said:

Gallinago gallinago a1.JPG

I did a bit of research. We supposedly have the "common snipe" in AZ. Here's just a single page with a few photos. 

http://birdfotos.com/birdfoto/snipe/snipe-common2.htm

8 hours ago, Big Tub said:

1 hour ago, Big Tub said:

I get the impression that is a no on personally?  I have never heard of anybody hunting snipe (or crows legally).

I crow hunt...legally 

15 hours ago, Big Tub said:

I get the impression that is a no on personally?  I have never heard of anybody hunting snipe (or crows legally).

From my 1st reply to you: "Far as I know, the snipe hunting is for real, but I've never done it.😉

I see some snipe while out waterfowl hunting every year. Usually, one or two mixed in with some other shorebirds, so I never try shooting them. However, I’ve seen other people misidentify yellow legs as snipe, which is a protected species! Make sure your ID is dead on before pulling the trigger.