Sign in to follow this  
trphyhntr

White Mountain Creek Fishing

26 minutes ago, Jlreff said:

Everyone is mentioning spots my dad and I have fished since the sixties. With all this social media mentioning the white mountains in particular spots not normally talked about there’s more pressure. When they re paved 273 they screwed up the big beaver dam at sheep’s crossing. Then poisoned it to reintroduce Apache trout. Which I found out this year the just started restocking since 2015. Due to disease in the brood stock. I had more people in places I go then I have in the last fifteen years. That’s including places that are a tow to three mile hike. Best thing is to go up during the middle of the week and hike in. But due to COVID-19 that didn’t even work this year. It was a zoo middle of April and still is up there. As a result I’ve moved my operations elsewhere.

Yeah I think everything has gotten a Little more popular since the 60s. COVID 19 tried to knock a few off 

• Like 1

Thats no chit, and I was born in sixty seven, its none stop anymore, hardly any native and all put and take crap. I member going fishing 3 miles up mount Baldy with the boyscouts in the 80's we caught the crap out of German brown trout..

• Like 1

Exactly right. Thank the government they poisoned from my baldy to the west fork camp ground in 1990. Due to over application of poison. Just so they could reintroduce native trout.

I want to go up sometime and concentrate on doing the Arizona Trout Challenge with a fish of 12" or better on each. I think that would be a lot of work but a lot of fun! How long do you guys think that would take to accomplish with spinning gear? A week? Two?

15 minutes ago, Heat said:

I want to go up sometime and concentrate on doing the Arizona Trout Challenge with a fish of 12" or better on each. I think that would be a lot of work but a lot of fun! How long do you guys think that would take to accomplish with spinning gear? A week? Two?

If you know where to go and know what you are doing you could get it done in a couple days. If you are wanting 12" or better the brook trout will need to come out of a lake and not a stream. You will also need to go to mt graham if you want to include Gila trout. 

• Like 2

I’ve caught 12’’plus brook trout out of streams in the white mountains. But it’s a heck of a hike in and out. But know with them poisoning every thing up there they probably aren’t there anymore. Trophy hunter if you’re looking for brown trout don’t bother with the west fork by the Rez. There’s better spots but it’s a heck of a hike in. Apache trout try west fork campground.

• Like 2

i was trying to catch apache trout, i just didnt know i was fishing where there wasnt any. i was on the west fork 2.5 miles south of the start of thompson trail. 

26 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

i was trying to catch apache trout, i just didnt know i was fishing where there wasnt any. i was on the west fork 2.5 miles south of the start of thompson trail. 

Book a day at Xmas Tree thru the tribe.  Lots of fish and some big hold-over spawners that have been stocked in it over the years. Those photos of the Apache trout I posted a while back were all taken there. It might have changed, but camping overnight there was permitted as long as you have the daily pass for the days you're there.  You should have a float tube or canoe-type craft. 

CHRISTMAS TREE LAKE         Daily Fishing Permit - Per Person - All Ages - Season Open to July 4th $30.00

Daily Fishing Permit - Per Person - All Ages - July 5th to Season End $25.00

20 spots available per day by reservation only - Contact Game & Fish to make reservations (928) 338-4385

FISHING              ADULT Daily Fishing Permit (ages 15 and older) $9.00

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Maybe if they open back up ever I will do the Christmas lake 

Never mind. I saw where it's shut down because of covid-19 concerns.

image01