Boarman03

Legality of selling or buying a firearm to/from a non resident

New Jersey is another country, like 48 states won't sell to New Jersey peps.

Since AZ law allows qualifying out of state residents to carry firearms in AZ. It seems reasonable that a person who leagally possesses a firearm in AZ could transfer that firearm through a licensed FFL to a resident of AZ, but that I have not specifically found, yet.

And, since certain qualifying out of state person's may purchase certain firearms in AZ through an FFL, such helps support the previous conclusion.

I may be contacting the ATF to ask a few specific questions, pistols?

I am not an attorney and am not providing legal advice. 

38 minutes ago, 10Turkeys said:

There was a few of us standing around one time talking to Louie Toy. He used to own Phoenix Shooters Supply, for those that remember that. Anyway he said that he purchased some pistols at one time and passed them along to another company. A guy in like New Jersey blew the tip of one of his fingers off with one of those pistols. Louie said that the lawyers came after him for it, someone ask him what it cost, and he said his insurance picked it up.

Good Ole Louie. We shot a lot of HP Silhouette matches together back in the day.

Boarman, you seem VERY pro FFL. You have bought countless firearms on here since you joined. Have ANY of them gone through an FFL?

Guest akaspecials
1 hour ago, PRDATR said:

"He then brought back a pile of rounds, unloaded from the firearms and extra magazines, and put them in a pile with the calibers mixed. (That frustrated me, as I felt it was disrespectful.)"

I think the deeper lesson learned is don't travel with loaded guns.  If it is a pistol on your body in my book that's fine.

No one had a firearm on their person or within reach. Firearms were all cased and were not chambered, although most had full mags. They were either behind the last standing seat of the truck or in the bed. The loaded magazines were in duffel bags or in rifle cases. The "loaded" guns you are referring to were loaded and holstered wheel guns stored in duffel bags.

I have no qualms with how our weapons were carried that day. I would have put up more of a stink if the officer didn't have every right to throw the book at us for speeding, cracked windshield, no mud flaps, etc.. We were respectful and let him do his job. We drove away scot free.

I can handle separating 5.56 from 7.62, but sorting .380 from 9mm frustrates me. It was disrespectful. I imagine most guys here travel with a few loaded mags for each firearm. It's a pain to load magazine after magazine after magazine when shooting. And it's even more frustrating to have to sort through a pile of 10 calibers...

I am not pro FFL. I am trying to bend over backwards to protect what rights I have left.

I do a bill of sale and get a AZ DL# and verify. I've had no problem with the great quality people I've purchased firearms from. I offer a copy for them. 

My bill of sale is simple, yet fairly complete. One page. I am not an attorney and do not represent myself as one. I offer a copy or a camera shot of the bill of sale. My information is also provided. What I expect from others I expect of myself.

I offer to transfer through an FFL if the other party desires. 

I have only transfered a handful of firearms and mostly to close friends. The AR lowers have been transfered through FFL even though they went to close friends. One friend just went through a bad divorce and the three lowers were sold. Especially glad I went through the FFL on that one.

I do not sell guns as a rule and I do not sell firearms as a rule. Those AR lowers I gifted to my very good friend two years before his wife "weirded" out.

I don't believe I've purchased countless firearms. I keep an Excell spreadsheet of thorough info of my firearms I own and the few I've transferred. The bulk of my firearms are in a secure lockup. 

I worked in the Low Voltage Communications industry, including security systems, for the last 40 years so I try to protect myself to avoid losing that ability. I've had more background checks/fingerprint clearances than I can count.

I try to make very few mistakes and try to guarantee my own success.

I hope that answered your questions.

I wanted to buy a Mosin from a pawn shop in Idaho and found out about the adjacent state law. I wanted to buy a rifle from a friend in Texas and found out about the state resident law. I use an FFL when necessary and my CCW permit makes life very nice for that.

Bass Pro knows me for window shopping and very occasionally purchasing a great deal.

I am a true firearm enthusiast who bloomed very late.

The ATF asks for you to verify age and ask if the buyer is a prohibited possessor and that's it for AZ. If the person looks old enough and answer question 2 and say they are not then good to go. Seller beware but I have done many buys and not had any issues to date. Bill of sale is cool but I don't ask for one, you can get a pretty good idea after talking to someone. Met a lot of nice people while buying. Bought a gun from a cop one time and he didn't ask for any info so the rules are stupid and the ATF doesn't have time for one gun purchases. Also it is legal as a private party to sell to a person that is 18 but under 21 but they can't by the ammo such crap.

3 hours ago, Boarman03 said:

You assume I was not looking to buy, but you error. I have purchased several guns of that value and quality even very recently. I was not trying to kill his sale or hurt it.

ATF website states that it is illegal  for a resident of one state to transfer a firearm to a person of a different state with out using a FFL, except for a few special situations like legal inheritance, immediate family gift, etc. to person's of legal age and ability to possess firearms and inaccordance with the state's laws. (Not exact wording).

I have had no problem from the people that I have purchased the many items from, but I have had fierce criticism from people like you who appear to be only looking and not buying. BigOrange humorously seemed to be keeping track a little, and many others can attest to my statement, like Levers, Bill@Roofer, WildWoody, Eddylasvegas, MyRightsasanAmerican and many, many more.

I started a thread in the correct place and you complain. What is it you really want?

I'll take your constructive criticism, but otherwise, get off my .....

1 hour ago, Boarman03 said:

I am not pro FFL. I am trying to bend over backwards to protect what rights I have left.

I do a bill of sale and get a AZ DL# and verify. I've had no problem with the great quality people I've purchased firearms from. I offer a copy for them. 

My bill of sale is simple, yet fairly complete. One page. I am not an attorney and do not represent myself as one. I offer a copy or a camera shot of the bill of sale. My information is also provided. What I expect from others I expect of myself.

I offer to transfer through an FFL if the other party desires. 

I have only transfered a handful of firearms and mostly to close friends. The AR lowers have been transfered through FFL even though they went to close friends. One friend just went through a bad divorce and the three lowers were sold. Especially glad I went through the FFL on that one.

I do not sell guns as a rule and I do not sell firearms as a rule. Those AR lowers I gifted to my very good friend two years before his wife "weirded" out.

I don't believe I've purchased countless firearms. I keep an Excell spreadsheet of thorough info of my firearms I own and the few I've transferred. The bulk of my firearms are in a secure lockup. 

I worked in the Low Voltage Communications industry, including security systems, for the last 40 years so I try to protect myself to avoid losing that ability. I've had more background checks/fingerprint clearances than I can count.

I try to make very few mistakes and try to guarantee my own success.

I hope that answered your questions.

I wanted to buy a Mosin from a pawn shop in Idaho and found out about the adjacent state law. I wanted to buy a rifle from a friend in Texas and found out about the state resident law. I use an FFL when necessary and my CCW permit makes life very nice for that.

Bass Pro knows me for window shopping and very occasionally purchasing a great deal.

I am a true firearm enthusiast who bloomed very late.

WTF is your name susan . dude your a dramaqueen.

4 hours ago, Delw said:

WTF is your name susan . dude your a dramaqueen.

Very mature. Do you have something of value to add that helps others?

I posted the information directly from the ATF website. Whether we agree with them or not, their rules are pretty clear with regards to a non resident transfer.

To be a legal transfer it must go through an FFL, except for a couple of unique exceptions.

Screenshot_20200729-184412.thumb.png.4b52cef1231b4b03368750b0b1281dd0.png

It's your decision if you want to follow the laws or what you want to risk.

I hope this helps.

AZ law regarding firearms purchased out of state include compliance with the Federal Gun Control Act of 1968.

See firearms purchase in other states (13-3106) ;

Screenshot_20200730-042541.thumb.png.9cfa6d8069fc839669402c2776a664e2.png