Sign in to follow this  
MULEPACKHUNTER

What State

Ya like Edge said my kids are here, I actually work in the same company as my son.  That would be a factor but not a deal breaker. Ounce the kids moved out we just don't get together that much. We have a family cabin in Heber also and mom is currently staying there most of the year. so even if we sold our place here we still have a home here.

18 hours ago, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

Every year my wife and I work toward our goal of an early retirement and this year somehow, despite all the drama of late, we have managed to become almost debt free, empty nested, promoted at work, and have some good investments. Our two kids are stable and growing more so every day despite their young ages and being on their own. We have been spending time every summer in different states to try and figure where we might want to make our last home build. If you had to choose what would it be between Missouri, Colorado, Arizona,,,, almost anywhere in each state is a possibility.  If you are dead set on a state what would be the pros and cons such as bugs, heat, hunting, fishing, shoveling snow, politics, etc. 

currently I’m sitting here with no power since 530 and I’m a little tired of the middle of AZ. 

Get a generator, its great.

• Haha 1

I was born in Oregon in 68 & moved to AZ in 78. Left after high school & moved around a little than back to AZ. Got married & have been living in California for the last 20 years & hate every minute of it!! I have family that still lives in AZ & visit them often, We just bought a house in AZ & are moving back In the next couple months as soon as I finish the small remodeling on it. Let me tell you I have missed AZ every day I have been away from it & can’t wait to get back!! There is no perfect place & the Californians ruin every place they go. Problem with Californians they are migrating everywhere so no place is going to be safe. I think Colorado is beautiful, but politicians have ruined it just they ruined, Oregon, Washington & working on Idaho. My vote would be stay in AZ, but you gotta do what you gotta due. Good luck with what ever you decide!!

• Like 1

Plenty of affordable places in OK and TX. Waco is a place to look at if you want to stay in the west. TX is flat but the farther south you go there is the gulf if you like to fish for anything other than LG Bass, which taste like a mouth full of dirt.

2 hours ago, goinhuntn said:

I was born in Oregon in 68 & moved to AZ in 78. Left after high school & moved around a little than back to AZ. Got married & have been living in California for the last 20 years & hate every minute of it!! I have family that still lives in AZ & visit them often, We just bought a house in AZ & are moving back In the next couple months as soon as I finish the small remodeling on it. Let me tell you I have missed AZ every day I have been away from it & can’t wait to get back!! There is no perfect place & the Californians ruin every place they go. Problem with Californians they are migrating everywhere so no place is going to be safe. I think Colorado is beautiful, but politicians have ruined it just they ruined, Oregon, Washington & working on Idaho. My vote would be stay in AZ, but you gotta do what you gotta due. Good luck with what ever you decide!!

Yeah but your biased because of your time in California! Any state would look better!! 😂:D

1 hour ago, PRDATR said:

Plenty of affordable places in OK and TX. Waco is a place to look at if you want to stay in the west. TX is flat but the farther south you go there is the gulf if you like to fish for anything other than LG Bass, which taste like a mouth full of dirt.

I would never live in Texas, zero interest in zero public land

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

I would never live in Texas, zero interest in zero public land

I said that up until 2009 when circumstances found me working in SE TX for a year. 

Dissapointed I didn't have a hog hunting oppurtunity but I did some crazy azz fishing.

Never adjusted to living in TX.

Growing up in Idaho I am pretty biased to there.  They pretty much have everything there that I would ever want.  Except my wife doesn't like it.  I think Tennessee would be nice.  Another state that I really like is North Carolina.

Now that I've visited or worked in all but maybe 8-10 states, the only place I would move to is AK.

Working on fishing boats traveling from Lake Union WA to the Bering Sea, I was immersed in the marine lifestyle of the inside passage.

All you needed for transportation in SE AK, a 16' aluminum boat and kicker to pick up supplies and the mail before cruising back to one of the many thousands of forested islands.

Build a dock and cabin from the trees on your homestead. Tough choices like dining on salmon, sole, crab, duck or venison. All you need are skills and a little seed money.mendenhall-gletscher-fireweed.cr3600x2394-0x0.1280x0_q50.thumb.jpg.a97076a86a654332f3382684ea451f0c.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Unless you’d had a few thousand acres with a lake and a river!

Still wouldn't do it. Im that "hey whats over that hill guy" I have a hard time not wondering, I hate fences and roads. That's a big factor here, I can hit a trailhead and walk or ride for 2 days and not see a road. I can ride right out of my front yard in several directions and cover a lot of miles with no obstructions but maybe crossing a few roads. That's not going to last forever. Im also actively trying to buy land right by my place so maybe im already answering my own question.

• Like 1