Sign in to follow this  
MULEPACKHUNTER

What State

My family has lived in Arizona before it was a state and I love my Arizona.The problem is it is a mathmadical figure that if you like to hunt and fish, with the population of people and future growth makes staying here full time.I probably will move to Idaho when my parents go to heaven.

On 8/2/2020 at 10:26 PM, knothead said:

Oh my gosh!  All you guys that live in places I would trade my left nut to live at and you want to move?!  Payson is in my top two or three places I would like to move to.  What Yotebuster said  about taking all the public land for granted we have out west is no small thing.  I never really knew until I moved to Texas how much free land we have to roam in here in AZ.  Seriously, you don't know what you got until it's gone.

Now that grand kids are starting to be born, I don't think there is anyway I am going to get my wife to leave the valley for a small town some place in AZ.  Probably die right here in Peoria.

Well, living in payson is not what it was.  You can’t go anywhere on the weekends. The traffic is too bad.  With all these people, the fires get worse every year.  You can’t hunt, without stepping on people, or getting stepped on.  You can’t fish without waiting in line.  
I’ll never be able to afford a place big enough to have a mule or a horse so I can get back in the wilderness.    Land is so expensive it’s stupid up here.  I’ll probably never afford to have a decent garden or live stock. 

Crooks are fighting for control of the town.  Which I guess happens anywhere.   

if I had 40 acres in South Carolina, that would be 40 more to myself than here.  Plus the coast is a hop away.  There are more opportunities for the kids.  

id like to move to sc or nc, and go to Alaska or Canada every other year.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bojangles said:

Well, living in payson is not what it was.  You can’t go anywhere on the weekends. The traffic is too bad.  With all these people, the fires get worse every year.  You can’t hunt, without stepping on people, or getting stepped on.  You can’t fish without waiting in line.  
I’ll never be able to afford a place big enough to have a mule or a horse so I can get back in the wilderness.    Land is so expensive it’s stupid up here.  I’ll probably never afford to have a decent garden or live stock. 

Crooks are fighting for control of the town.  Which I guess happens anywhere.   

if I had 40 acres in South Carolina, that would be 40 more to myself than here.  Plus the coast is a hop away.  There are more opportunities for the kids.  

id like to move to sc or nc, and go to Alaska or Canada every other year.  

Your having me second guess my want to move to Payson.  Your right cost is a factor in getting there.  

For you guys that know the state well...

I want someplace slightly cooler then sierra vista not hotter. But I dont want Flagstaff or Alpine cold.  What's left? Obvious choice seems sho low? Quick look on my weather app shows this.  Does show low still get brutal cold like Alpine?

Screenshot_20200804-092519_Weather.thumb.jpg.416abdc8c78bd46e097b9b3056433dac.jpg

2 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Your having me second guess my want to move to Payson.  Your right cost is a factor in getting there.  

For you guys that know the state well...

I want someplace slightly cooler then sierra vista not hotter. But I dont want Flagstaff or Alpine cold.  What's left? Obvious choice seems sho low? Quick look on my weather app shows this.  Does show low still get brutal cold like Alpine?

Screenshot_20200804-092519_Weather.thumb.jpg.416abdc8c78bd46e097b9b3056433dac.jpg

Why yes it does. always in the negatives. Usually down to -20 from November-March

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, WHT_MTNMAN said:

Why yes it does. always in the negatives. Usually down to -20 from November-March

Lies make baby Jesus cry

24 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Good call. How many wives you gonna get 

Probably just keep the one I got. Can’t afford any more and can’t afford to get rid of this one even if I wanted to (which I don’t).

4 hours ago, Noel Arnold said:

My family has lived in Arizona before it was a state and I love my Arizona.The problem is it is a mathmadical figure that if you like to hunt and fish, with the population of people and future growth makes staying here full time.I probably will move to Idaho when my parents go to heaven.

Since your family has been here so long, I imagine you are related to the Arnold's pickle family?  I used to rope with some of them back in 70's.

just a thought kevin that might keep you from full-timing it in payson or show low.

many of my friends and neighbors are based in show low until the kids are gone and then they buy an inexpensive little place-bungalow?  fishing cabin?  anything? 150 miles away in roosevelt estates or tonto basin.  three seeason fun-in-the sun but mostly escaping january frostbite during downtime.  some areas out of town-show low-are best avoided when buying-david spade called navajo county the meth capital of arizona.  his mom lives here as does george takei-sulu.

tons of home improvement work in both areas.

lee 

ps the difference in weather between show low, white mountain lake and the higher pinetop/lakeside can be astounding. 

Knothead,I have had a lot of people ask me over the years if I am related to the Arnold pickles company.No I am not, but it would have been nice because I sure like a good pickle when I am eating a sandwich 😋

• Like 1

On 7/30/2020 at 10:57 PM, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

Every year my wife and I work toward our goal of an early retirement and this year somehow, despite all the drama of late, we have managed to become almost debt free, empty nested, promoted at work, and have some good investments. Our two kids are stable and growing more so every day despite their young ages and being on their own. We have been spending time every summer in different states to try and figure where we might want to make our last home build. If you had to choose what would it be between Missouri, Colorado, Arizona,,,, almost anywhere in each state is a possibility.  If you are dead set on a state what would be the pros and cons such as bugs, heat, hunting, fishing, shoveling snow, politics, etc. 

currently I’m sitting here with no power since 530 and I’m a little tired of the middle of AZ. 

Once you nail down a state, be sure to visit it for several days during every season. A state that's nice in summer could be a downer during the winter. 

In the mid-70s, we bought a resort near Vallecito Lake at 8300', about 25 miles from Durango, CO. I first visited the area for a DIY horseback hunt in the 60s, and we began taking our vacations there every SUMMER for about six years. The skiing, fishing & hunting were super and the scenery was spectacular. We arrived on Jan. 10 during a snowstorm and left on Jan. 10 during a snowstorm three years later. The winters were an endless chain of snowfalls, eventually adding up to more than 400 inches a year. The first year, it was a novelty, not so much the next two. So we moved back here where coping with the summer heat is better than using a snowmobile to get around. 😎

MORAL: Go somewhere for the summer and somewhere for the winter.

• Like 1

We built in Show Low and couldn't be happier.  Mild winters and mostly great summer temps.  Town is small enough but has good amenities and not taken over by libs yet.  Hopefully never...  Also back up to 3b with a two track right out my garage :)  Lived in allot of places including the valley for 25 years but we really like it here.  Now I just need to get a early archery elk tag and life will be beyond good lol...  Good Luck with whatever you decide!!

• Like 2