Sign in to follow this  
fjnlsa11

Warning: Scammers Contacting Users

Just a reminder about scammers. I posted a want ad in classifieds for binoculars.  I was contacted by a new user. The user replied with this message:  Hi you can reach out to mike in texas he has the Binoculars for sale this is his email address jasonmike437@gmail.com good luck.   It looked like a scam response, but I emailed anyway just to confirm. I didn't use my primary email so I wasn't concerned about getting spammed.  Anyway, sure enough, the person sent me photos of binoculars that sold already 2 years ago on another website forum. 

• Like 4

Interesting how the majority of those seem to be referring people to someone in Texas, whether they really are in Texas or not.

Based on the email response I could tell they weren't from the United States.  Scammers usually will choose a random location nearby (in this case Texas).  Also, scammers usually have a specific way they communicate that gives them away (unless you aren't familiar with their methods).   Anyway, I just wanted warn other members, because some people are not as aware unfortunately and that is why scammers continue to operate. 

• Like 1

It's not the TexasBinoMan you are referring to --  I already had contacted him about the binocular I was looking for, prior to putting up my wanted post here.  The person who contacted me through this forum is not legit and I am convinced they are not from the United States.  They tend to use certain language/verbiage in their email communication that gives them away.  

• Like 1

I got the same message from the same guy on a WTB add on a 410 i posted i knew it was a scam as soon as he wanted me to contact him through his gmail 

• Like 1

I am always skeptical of anyone with less than 50 posts.  I may read but will never respond.

The OP only has 4 posts on CW.

• Like 2

I see that email format (first name last name and number at gmail) often superimposed on a photo listing stuff like a new JD tractor for $800. 
Seems like a lot of work to capture an email address and spam them. Gotta run some royal wants to send me money. My lucky day! 

That was my other concern,  the person that contacted me is new with no content. I am new as well. I only joined the forum because I am looking for a difficult to find binocular (Docter Optic 15x60) that is popular with hunters, at least it used to be. I have plans to use it for astronomy.