Sign in to follow this  
CatfishKev

Annual Cwt tuna trip

My heavy rig is a Penn Fathom 40 Lever Drag 2 Speed. I have 500 yards of 80# PowerPro white on it. The rod is a Charkbait Rainshadow 60-80 rated 7' RCJB84XXH blank. Can use 50 to 80# topshots on it. The fact that I actually hooked and landed a 75-80# fish on a sinker rig with it tells me its good to go. Can fish that rig for bait or jigs down deep. If there are 100# plus fish around I want the boat's gear.

• Like 1

Returned this morning from a 1.5 day on the Pacific Queen with limits of 30-70# fish with the majority being well over 50. Apparently the day before they were only finding the 20/40 class fish so yay for the nicer fish. The fish are in very close. We spent the entire time between La Jolla and Del Mar not far from shore. The boat got good bait and fuel prior to our departure so we left around 7:00PM and we got on fish at midnight. The usual flatfalls, coltsnipers and even big knife jigs were working. The heaviest jigs were preferred and also got to the zone faster.  At sunrise, the switch to flylined bait worked. Steady amount of fish caught that way. Stayed on fish but bite slowed about 1:00PM till the evening hit. Had a great school of good sized fish that wanted to play just after dark and wow, what a cluster f$@k.. 30+ lines down to 250' and 6 to 10 fish over 50# hooked up at the same time makes for the biggest mess of rods and lines you can possibly imagine. No clue how many were lost but we had to stop fishing as we limited the boat in short order.  Never saw a dropper rig go in the water the entire trip.

We had several boats in the area but not more than eight or so at any one time until the night bite, then maybe a dozen or so and screaming could be heard from many boats. Fish counts are kind of all over the place but with the fish this close, you are able to fish two nights if needed. The captain, Gavin said we would be fishing till 3AM if needed. Luckily it wasn't and we were able to get a good nights sleep before returning to the dock. (Having cell service the entire time was kind of nice too)  

Pic is of my buddy that has blanked on BF until yesterday. Congrats Josh!!  

Resized_20210712_072918.thumb.jpg.efc024230c49539b37244a4906300c48.jpg

0.jpg.ef983129ad821d02a1b601fb47f2ee74.jpg

Edited by Ohthatguy
pics added
  • Like 5
  • Wow! 1

4 minutes ago, Ohthatguy said:

Returned this morning from a 1.5 day on the Pacific Queen with limits of 30-70# fish with the majority being well over 50. Apparently the day before they were only finding the 20/40 class fish so yay for the nicer fish. The fish are in very close. We spent the entire time between La Jolla and Del Mar not far from shore. The boat got good bait and fuel prior to our departure so we left around 7:00PM and we got on fish at midnight. The usual flatfalls, coltsnipers and even big knife jigs were working. The heaviest jigs were preferred and also got to the zone faster.  At sunrise, the switch to flylined bait worked. Steady amount of fish caught that way. Stayed on fish but bite slowed about 1:00PM till the evening hit. Had a great school of good sized fish that wanted to play just after dark and wow, what a cluster f$@k.. 30+ lines down to 250' and 6 to 10 fish over 50# hooked up at the same time makes for the biggest mess of rods and lines you can possibly imagine. No clue how many were lost but we had to stop fishing as we limited the boat in short order.  Never saw a dropper rig go in the water the entire trip.

We had several boats in the area but not more than eight or so at any one time until the night bite, then maybe a dozen or so and screaming could be heard from many boats. Fish counts are kind of all over the place but with the fish this close, you are able to fish two nights if needed. The captain, Gavin said we would be fishing till 3AM if needed. Luckily it wasn't and we were able to get a good nights sleep before returning to the dock. (Having cell service the entire time was kind of nice too)  

That's awesome man! Post up the pics

Were you on there with the dude who had a coffee grinder with a rope around his neck and the rod?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Heat said:

Were you on there with the dude who had a coffee grinder with a rope around his neck and the rod?

Yes sir!!!  Bahaha.. that was funny! That's him on the right side of the top pic..

• Haha 1

On 7/14/2021 at 8:43 AM, Heat said:

image.thumb.png.ee82d6920aa4648348d004829f2e0021.pngNext Level shoot right here!

Saw this today on BD, lol.  Awesome fishing. 

• Like 1

On 7/13/2021 at 7:59 PM, Ohthatguy said:

Pic is of my buddy that has blanked on BF until yesterday. Congrats Josh!!  

Resized_20210712_072918.thumb.jpg.efc024230c49539b37244a4906300c48.jpg

0.jpg.ef983129ad821d02a1b601fb47f2ee74.jpg

Dang, nice job!  The fishing sounds killer right now and fish are all over the weight range.

I am heading out on my 6 pack Saturday night and come back Sunday night.  I am sure we will be fishing late Saturday night.  Sleep is for hotel rooms and conference rooms.

• Like 1

Good Luck on the 6 pack! Fishing is phenomenal right now. Lots of different grades some mixed in the same schools. I think there are a lot of fish very close too.

On 7/15/2021 at 10:03 PM, n2horns said:

I am heading out on my 6 pack Saturday night and come back Sunday night.  I am sure we will be fishing late Saturday night.  Sleep is for hotel rooms and conference rooms.

Welllll?????   Wake up and let us know how you did.  Interested in a 6 pack here shortly and would love to know what you found.

Short version.

Returned yesterday. 1.5 day on Pacifica. Didn't crash so yay! 90 miles out. It was either chase BF or hunt for YF. We chose BF. About 17 BF, (20-40#) 14 nice Yellow tail and some bottom stuff. No real fish on flatfalls, all flyline except the two on the kite at dusk. 196 and 214#. 

IMG954548.jpg

• Like 6