Sign in to follow this  
CatfishKev

Annual Cwt tuna trip

58 minutes ago, Ohthatguy said:

Sounds like a boat got into some yellowfin today. Up to 50#. Both alone and mixed with BF.. Let the chaos begin...

image.png.46fc49a9bb39c8aebd04e9c860fe250a.png

• Like 1

On 6/20/2021 at 8:57 PM, Ohthatguy said:

Returned this morning from a 1.5 day on Sea Adventure 80. Quick version: 

I have never fished this hard or long on a trip before.  As soon as we set out and the Captain gave the talk, he said we should go get sleep now and not hang out or goof off as we were in for a marathon. He wasn't kidding. We woke up on fish at 2:00AM and chased fish non-stop until 10:30 that night. Not a crazy bite and many stops ran the fish off or produced no fish but many had singles or doubles so it was a slow but steady trip.

Huge amount of fish out there and only 20 miles out so over 60 boats in the AM. When the Red Rooster and all the other nice long range boats are in close, you know it's good.

Schoolies were taken on fly lines and dropper rigs down in the 75-125' range.  Big boys down between 175-300' was the call so I spent all my time down deep but blanked. Again.. Another big or bust trip for me.

Finished with around 40 fish on deck and a few at the 100# mark. Quite a few break off's and one nice fish straightened out a 4/0 Owner at the boat after a two hour fight.  Another spooled a deckhands reel in just a few minutes.

Big snipers and dropper rigs got the action by the bigger class fish most of the day. (Around dusk it seemed to be the 100g and under jigs got the action.)

Captain, food and crew all get HUGE thumbs up and would absolutely recommend the boat. (I have been on this boat before and don't remember being this impressed so not sure if it was a different crew or ??)

The fish are there and chances will rarely be any better at landing a trophy so if a big BFT is on your list, go.

Can you share your set-up? Heading out in august for 5th annual trip on relentless. I am happy with my 30# rig, but have never caught anything on the bigger set-up. 

1 hour ago, NewlyMinted said:

Can you share your set-up? Heading out in august for 5th annual trip on relentless. I am happy with my 30# rig, but have never caught anything on the bigger set-up. 

The biggest I have is a Shimano Terez XXH rod, (80-200#) with a Fathom 60 2 speed with 100# braid. This and a lot of luck is probably only good for a 200#  BFT. If I hooked onto a 300#, pretty sure I'm toast. 

I have a few other poles with 100# and 65# for my dropper rigs if I don't just switch over to the bigger rod.  In the dark, 200# leaders and then when it's light, 80# fluoro IF they will bite it, otherwise dropping to 60#.

For the yellowfin and Dodo trips later in the year, my SPM12ii on 50# is perfect unless you find the BF. Also a spinner with 50# is a blast on YFT and Dodos.

If the big BFT are what you are chasing in August, they won't let you even put 30 in the water. They are begging people not to use anything less than 80#. The big fish are no joke.  You can rent a heavy set up at the marina for 125.00 for a 1.5 day trip.  Also if you are using flatfalls, switch out the stock rings and hooks... 

Fishing is expensive. Fishing for big BFT can get ridiculously expensive but tugging on a 100+# tuna is something you will never forget.  

I'd suggest watching the reports prior to your trip to see what they are chasing.

EDIT:  I would love to hear what others are using to successfully land the big ones.

Captain speaks from 2:00 to 30:00 about the big BFT and is worth watching.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewlyMinted said:

Ed, I got some gear I'd let you borrow. 2 midweights, 2 heavy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

I wanted to hop on the pride the 29th cuz bites on and they had spots today left but The more I think about it I just don’t want it bad enough 

I wish I had your will power... But I don't..  So, 2 more weeks and out on the Pacific Queen to try again....

I didn't end up going on that trip, something else came up. And since I didn't go they limited out, of course.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

Actually I look and I see there’s still spots. Does anyone want to roll from Phoenix area to split fuel Tuesday, maybe I should hit it 

Tempting and if a job falls through on Monday, I may be up for it. 

Look at the weather map, there is a storm brewing down south just below Puerto Vallarta.. I have no idea if it matters in the least to the fish but just something to be aware of.

On 6/26/2021 at 6:44 PM, Ohthatguy said:

The biggest I have is a Shimano Terez XXH rod, (80-200#) with a Fathom 60 2 speed with 100# braid. This and a lot of luck is probably only good for a 200#  BFT. If I hooked onto a 300#, pretty sure I'm toast. 

I have a few other poles with 100# and 65# for my dropper rigs if I don't just switch over to the bigger rod.  In the dark, 200# leaders and then when it's light, 80# fluoro IF they will bite it, otherwise dropping to 60#.

For the yellowfin and Dodo trips later in the year, my SPM12ii on 50# is perfect unless you find the BF. Also a spinner with 50# is a blast on YFT and Dodos.

If the big BFT are what you are chasing in August, they won't let you even put 30 in the water. They are begging people not to use anything less than 80#. The big fish are no joke.  You can rent a heavy set up at the marina for 125.00 for a 1.5 day trip.  Also if you are using flatfalls, switch out the stock rings and hooks... 

Fishing is expensive. Fishing for big BFT can get ridiculously expensive but tugging on a 100+# tuna is something you will never forget.  

I'd suggest watching the reports prior to your trip to see what they are chasing.

EDIT:  I would love to hear what others are using to successfully land the big ones.

Captain speaks from 2:00 to 30:00 about the big BFT and is worth watching.

Solid captain talk there! was that your trip or just one this summer?

I have Fathom 15LD on a 7' Carnage II rod for my 20-40# fish, it's been great for the 30# BF, YF and last year was tested to the max with 30# YellowTail.. those guys were fighters. I have to say I'm sold on the P-Line Copolymer after that trip and bought a 2000' spool. I've put a lot of tasty fish in the freezer the last 4 years with this set-up.

My heavy setup is a Squall 60LD on a 6ft 50-100# Heavy rod and historically loaded  with 80# braid and 80# fluoro, it's never hooked anything, but the last few I've only hung it off the end of the boat since we haven't gotten into larger fish.

Did you have a sinker set-up that worked at night or before the sun came up?

On 6/26/2021 at 7:13 PM, CatfishKev said:

Ed, I got some gear I'd let you borrow. 2 midweights, 2 heavy

Thanks man! playing with my heavy set-up at the moment. I think we should find a way to make a 6-pack out of San Diego work this year.

On 6/28/2021 at 9:25 AM, NewlyMinted said:

Thanks man! playing with my heavy set-up at the moment. I think we should find a way to make a 6-pack out of San Diego work this year.

Id love too, bit all $ is getting dumped into the new biz venture.  Im not selling my tuna gear though!

• Like 1

On 6/26/2021 at 5:59 PM, NewlyMinted said:

Also, hit up Phoenix Fishing Supply too for some gear or Bloody Decks classifieds - https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/classifieds/categories/fishing-rods-reels.2/

ocean gear isnt cheap, about 6 years or so, I went all in and wrapped 5 rods myself and bought all Avet reels - 2 raptors MXLs, 2 raptor LXs, raptor JX, Shimaro 8000D for spinning rod, 2 tranx 400ahg, tranx 500ahg.  I can cover bottom fishing, calico bass, white sea bass, yellow tail to the YT and BFT's.  Plus, talking the tranx out to Cali and throwing the 12 to 15 inch swimbaints on the big bass is a ton of fun.

This will cover me sub 80 lbs and I am good with that.  I am not chasing bigger with my gear and if I want bigger, I will go 6 pack and ask for it.  I enjoy catching 20 to 40 lb fish and get a bunch of them.

• Like 2