Sign in to follow this  
pwrguy

Optic for AR Platform

I am looking to put an optic on an AR10.  Looking for suggestions on what to look for and to see what others have on theirs or are willing to sell.  I am not really a black gun kind of guy but am thinking about being better prepared when the zombie apocalypse arrives.  This would probably be for engaging targets under 300 yards?

• Like 1

Leopold vxr patrol. I put one on my m1a socom. 

Vortex strike eagle has a little bit better fov and more magnification and a little cheaper 

My Ar-10 I lost in a boat accident wore a Burris xtr 5-25×50.  My other Ar's I lost that day wore eotechs, a couple holosuns and a couple leupold 1-4x.   

• Haha 1

Similar to Huntharder, I lost mine in a boating accident. But before that, my rifles had simple red dots. Bushnell TRS25 and a Primary arms red dot. Certainly not bullet proof, but perfect for what I needed until that dreaded day.

You guys navy seals or something?

Edit: timing is terrible, didn't think about the current connection and had no intention to relate.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks for the responses.  Having trouble deciding which way to go.  ACOG looks a little more than I wanted to go.

• Like 1

I'm old so when I think AR-10 I think .308 but I heard they're making them in other calibers too.  So to me now, an AR-10 is an AR platform that shoots a caliber bigger than the .223/.556.  What caliber does yours shoot?

Regardless of exact cartridge (all of them being more powerful than the .223/.556), the AR-10 has a greater effective distance than the AR-15 so I'd consider a low power variable optic (LPVO).  You can get them that start as a "true 1X" and an illuminated reticle so at close range you can run with both eyes open and use it like a red dot.  BUT, they also have magnification so you can crank it up when you need to reach out and touch something at greater distance.  That buys you options.  They come in configurations between 1X4 up to 1X10 and a lot of them now are first focal plane (FFP) scopes so the reticle is magnified with the target.  Again, I'm old, so I find magnification helpful.

The down side of LPVOs is they tend to be heavier and they're not cheap because they're scopes.  But when the zombie apocalypse comes and you see those un-dead, brain-eating, walking corpses lumbering towards your compound while your loved ones feverishly top off your magazines and stack them next to you, what will make you feel better, being able to send some love in their direction effectively at 500 + meters or having saved some money way back when?  (And remember, they're zombies.  You need head shots.)  : )  IMHO, an LPVO will help you maximize your AR-10s capabilities.

I have experience with the Burris XTR II 1-8X24 (FFP) and I like it.  It's $1,000.

https://www.sportoptics.com/burris-riflescope-201018.aspx

I also have experience with the Steiner P4Xi Tactical 1-4X24 LE and like it too.  It's $800.

https://www.sportoptics.com/steiner-p4xi-rifle-scopes.aspx

For $2,000 there's the Vortex Razor Gen III 1-10x24 (FFP).  I've never looked through it though.

https://www.sportoptics.com/vortex-razor-gen-iii-scopes.aspx

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jimmer Negamanee said:

I'm old so when I think AR-10 I think .308 but I heard they're making them in other calibers too.  So to me now, an AR-10 is an AR platform that shoots a caliber bigger than the .223/.556.  What caliber does yours shoot?

Regardless of exact cartridge (all of them being more powerful than the .223/.556), the AR-10 has a greater effective distance than the AR-15 so I'd consider a low power variable optic (LPVO).  You can get them that start as a "true 1X" and an illuminated reticle so at close range you can run with both eyes open and use it like a red dot.  BUT, they also have magnification so you can crank it up when you need to reach out and touch something at greater distance.  That buys you options.  They come in configurations between 1X4 up to 1X10 and a lot of them now are first focal plane (FFP) scopes so the reticle is magnified with the target.  Again, I'm old, so I find magnification helpful.

The down side of LPVOs is they tend to be heavier and they're not cheap because they're scopes.  But when the zombie apocalypse comes and you see those un-dead, brain-eating, walking corpses lumbering towards your compound while your loved ones feverishly top off your magazines and stack them next to you, what will make you feel better, being able to send some love in their direction effectively at 500 + meters or having saved some money way back when?  (And remember, they're zombies.  You need head shots.)  : )  IMHO, an LPVO will help you maximize your AR-10s capabilities.

I have experience with the Burris XTR II 1-8X24 (FFP) and I like it.  It's $1,000.

https://www.sportoptics.com/burris-riflescope-201018.aspx

I also have experience with the Steiner P4Xi Tactical 1-4X24 LE and like it too.  It's $800.

https://www.sportoptics.com/steiner-p4xi-rifle-scopes.aspx

For $2,000 there's the Vortex Razor Gen III 1-10x24 (FFP).  I've never looked through it though.

https://www.sportoptics.com/vortex-razor-gen-iii-scopes.aspx

Jimmer, thanks for the response.  The rifle is an Armalite .308.  In theory it should reach out and touch, but right now I have not shot it so I'm not sure how accurate it will be.  I will probably fit it with something I already own before I decide if I want to dump that much into an optic.  Those look like some good choices if I decide to go that direction.  If the rifle is capable of zombie head shots at 500 I might just pull the trigger on something nice to top it with.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2020 at 10:34 AM, firstcoueswas80 said:

Similar to Huntharder, I lost mine in a boating accident. But before that, my rifles had simple red dots. Bushnell TRS25 and a Primary arms red dot. Certainly not bullet proof, but perfect for what I needed until that dreaded day.

2 boating accidents , lost your Guns, wow thats unbelievable whats the chances..

• Haha 1

I have run through many different optic configurations on my ARs, from big scopes to simple red dots. All of mine have different scopes on them now but they are all in the lower range 1-4, 1-6, 2-7, halo with 3x magnifier. I found that MOST of my hunting/shooting is inside of 100 yds. For the rare occasion I need to reach out a little bit the 4,6 ,7 top end is plenty.

The lower end just works better for my style. BIG fan of the Leupold VXR.

Disclaimer: all of my ARs are on the 15 platform not the 10.

• Like 1

I forgot the Burris RT-6 1x6 scope.  SportOptics (CWT.com sponsor) has them for $300.

https://www.sportoptics.com/burris-rt-6-rifle-scopes.aspx

Or you could go with the RT-6 Combo with is that scope with a Fastfire-3 red dot on top for $470.  (Link above also has the combo.)  Kinda has a Yertle the Turtle look with a red dot stacked on top but you could always take the red dot off and put it on something else that will soon be on the bottom of Lake Powell if you didn't like that configuration.

I have no experience with the RT-6 but people I know who know scopes say Burris is on the higher end of the "cheap scope" category.

You are in for a lot of fun and many difficult decisions (but those are fun too).

• Like 1

I was with Casey in the horrible boating accident of 16', but mine wore a 3-15×50 Premier Heritage Light Tactical when Davy Jones claimed it...  

20180429_114210.thumb.jpg.c82529b2a1a7742e4e9663b539c12da7.jpg

• Like 1