Sign in to follow this  
handwerk

leica duovids @15x vs. geovids 15x56R

No, but the idea of having the ability to go from 10X to 15X in a single binocular is pretty cool. I have tried to hand hold 15's when I had them and by the time my eyes focus on something in the distance within a few seconds I have trouble staying on it because I can't hold it steady enough. 

I have 10X EL's and while not as bad if I am going to do any serious glassing they immediately go on my tripod. Outdoorsmans in Fountain Hills has Leicas so you might want to take a ride over there and check them out. They are across from the lake so you could stand outside and easily see 600 yards across the lake and they should be able to put them on a tripod so you can see the difference and how much less stable the view is when you handhold them.

The duovids are awesome. The only bummer is,  15x looks like looking through a straw.  FOV is seriously lacking on 15 power. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

The duovids are awesome. The only bummer is,  15x looks like looking through a straw.  FOV is seriously lacking on 15 power. 

You sure about that Casey?? The FOV on Duovids at 15x is listed at 60 deg and only 53 deg on 10x. If anything 10x should look more restricted. When comparing them other 15s according to the Swarovski website the 15x Swaros are only 62 deg. The Zeiss 15x are the widest 15s I found in my quick search and they were listed at 69 deg. If the listed online specs are correct the 60 deg of the Duos isn't bad at all.   

6 hours ago, OpticNerd said:

You sure about that Casey?? The FOV on Duovids at 15x is listed at 60 deg and only 53 deg on 10x. If anything 10x should look more restricted. When comparing them other 15s according to the Swarovski website the 15x Swaros are only 62 deg. The Zeiss 15x are the widest 15s I found in my quick search and they were listed at 69 deg. If the listed online specs are correct the 60 deg of the Duos isn't bad at all.   

I have never noticed the FOV stated in degrees. It's always been how many feet at 1000 yards.

2 hours ago, PRDATR said:

I have never noticed the FOV stated in degrees. It's always been how many feet at 1000 yards.

I wish all bino FOV specs where in degrees.

10 hours ago, OpticNerd said:

The data you list in your post is apparent FOV not actual FOV.  A degree is approximately 55' @ 1000 yards.  Swaro and Zeiss 15's are both 4.2 - 4.5 degrees of acutal FOV.   Duovids, like variable scopes, sacrifice FOV at any given magnification as compared with fixed power optics.  Most high end fixed power 10X binos will have a 6.3 to 6.6 degree FOV, notice the duovids @ 10X  have a 5.3' FOV.  With optics, there are always tradeoffs.

Example: Leica Duovid 10x15x50

Leica 40420 Specs
Magnification 10/15x
Objective Lens Diameter 50 mm
Angle of View 10x: 5.3° (Actual) 15x: 4° (Actual)
Field of View 10x: 274' @ 1000 yd / 90.97 m @ 1000 m 15x: 208' @ 1000 yd / 69.06 m @ 1000 m
Minimum Focus Distance 12.9' / 3.9 m

Example: Zeiss

The 15x56 Conquest HD Binoculars from ZEISS are designed to provide optimal performance in all light and weather conditions.
ZEISS 525633-0000-000 Specs.
Magnification 15x
Objective Lens Diameter 56 mm
Angle of View 69° (Apparent)
Field of View 240' @ 1000 yd / 79.68 m @ 1000 m
Minimum Focus Distance 11.5' / 3.51 m

18 hours ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

I had an earlier pair, so maybe they improved the design. But when I had mine, 15x was like a straw. 

Backwards?

Duovids are fantastic. There is 26’ difference in FOV at 1000 yards between SLC 15 amd Duovid at 15. That’s 13 FEET at 1000 YARDS on each side of your extreme edge of fov. Nobody is going to see that difference.