n2horns

Cali Gov penalties on hiring tutors

My little brother is still in Highschool and he has to do this "simulated school" on his computer. Usually you would think that the teacher would be on a Skype call and would show the class how to do certain things on a whiteboard. They dont. They end up giving them a link to read on how to do a math problem or a link to read on for chemistry. So I have been trying to tutor them. I think that the law is wrong. This online or "simulated learning" is terrible and it really is frustrating for my little brother. I spend hours a day helping him because the teachers won't teach over the computer, instead they are short cutting the short cut that is already given to them

• Like 2

He is such a POS. He is ruining countless lives with his BS shutting everything down. Small business isn't essential, but the construction of SOFI stadium is. FN joke. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, UggRedBilly said:

My little brother is still in Highschool and he has to do this "simulated school" on his computer. Usually you would think that the teacher would be on a Skype call and would show the class how to do certain things on a whiteboard. They dont. They end up giving them a link to read on how to do a math problem or a link to read on for chemistry. So I have been trying to tutor them. I think that the law is wrong. This online or "simulated learning" is terrible and it really is frustrating for my little brother. I spend hours a day helping him because the teachers won't teach over the computer, instead they are short cutting the short cut that is already given to them

It's just as bad in AZ and has been for 30 years. The system and teaching is all about the teachers who have little qualifications to teach and want accolades like they have a darn PhD. My kids went through the Mesa school system and graduated in the 90's and 2006 and 2008. If it weren't for us being involved and actually teaching them something practical that they were not getting in school they wouldn't have the knowledge and common sense they have today.

There is ZERO need for a "Teachers Aid", especially when the only qualification is to show up and breathe. There is a reason why Arizona  is ranked 49th.

• Like 1

I don't see how this bill applies to tutors at all.  I read original link and I think the information in it is misleading.  Here's the text of the law:

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201920200AB5

I think it applies to companies not individuals.  And even if it did apply to companies, it looks like there is a specific carve out for tutors.

https://www.dwt.com/blogs/employment-labor-and-benefits/2019/09/california-ab5-employment-law

It looks like this law is the codification of a court case where some employer tried to hire employees but then claim they were independent contractors so they didn't have to pay benefits like workers' comp. 

My vehicle would be illegal in CA because of the cold air intake so I don't like the state personally but I like the truth.  I don't think the bill means what the DeMaio Report thinks it means.  I'll go farther, I think the DeMaio report article was not just intentionally misleading, I think it was a lie because it doesn't look like this bill even remotely applies to parents hiring a tutor.  I don't think it applies to babysitters either.  Or the neighbor kid cutting a lawn. 

Don't get me wrong, I like getting righteously indignant just as much as the next guy but when I do, I want to be right.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Jimmer Negamanee said:

I don't see how this bill applies to tutors at all.  I read original link and I think the information in it is misleading.  Here's the text of the law:

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201920200AB5

I think it applies to companies not individuals.  And even if it did apply to companies, it looks like there is a specific carve out for tutors.

https://www.dwt.com/blogs/employment-labor-and-benefits/2019/09/california-ab5-employment-law

It looks like this law is the codification of a court case where some employer tried to hire employees but then claim they were independent contractors so they didn't have to pay benefits like workers' comp. 

My vehicle would be illegal in CA because of the cold air intake so I don't like the state personally but I like the truth.  I don't think the bill means what the DeMaio Report thinks it means.  I'll go farther, I think the DeMaio report article was not just intentionally misleading, I think it was a lie because it doesn't look like this bill even remotely applies to parents hiring a tutor.  I don't think it applies to babysitters either.  Or the neighbor kid cutting a lawn. 

Don't get me wrong, I like getting righteously indignant just as much as the next guy but when I do, I want to be right.

In other words, #fakenews

• Like 1

Not only that, the City of L.A. will now shut off power and water to homes that host gatherings in violation of their orders. Is this America?  My grandfather just rolled over in his grave. I’m glad he’s not here to endure this BS. 

13 hours ago, PRDATR said:

It's just as bad in AZ and has been for 30 years. The system and teaching is all about the teachers who have little qualifications to teach and want accolades like they have a darn PhD. My kids went through the Mesa school system and graduated in the 90's and 2006 and 2008. If it weren't for us being involved and actually teaching them something practical that they were not getting in school they wouldn't have the knowledge and common sense they have today.

There is ZERO need for a "Teachers Aid", especially when the only qualification is to show up and breathe. There is a reason why Arizona  is ranked 49th.

Exactly. Like I had a few that were amazing and really cared, and those teachers are there right now teaching on a whiteboard with a camera. I see them there every day I drive passed the school but it seems a lot of other kids there are having the same issue with the teacher doing nothing but saying "click the link" I hope that AZ doesnt follow and say no tutors. Because they NEED them!!!

On 8/5/2020 at 7:01 PM, PRDATR said:

How many teachers do you actually know? Do you know what their degrees are in? I'm just curious because you lump teachers all into one category........I am glad you were able to teach your kids something practical that they were not getting in school. That is actually exactly what parents should do - supplement a child's education to encompass all of their needs and enhance their education. I am glad you stepped up as a parent - many do not.......as for Teacher Aid - do actually think highly qualified mathematicians, scientists and historians will take a teaching job at the salaries they were offered over the past 30 years.....sometimes the saying "You get what you pay for" applies to all kinds of things. 

Fire all the piece of crap teachers that don't want to teach, they can now get a real job and sweat and work hard, instead of there constant bitching and crappy teaching skills, now they just want a pay check. Scared little bitches. The next generation is going to be dumber then the millennials with less social skills.. Public schools need to be abolished , and give the parents the choice.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, wildwoody said:

Fire all the piece of crap teachers that don't want to teach, they can now get a real job and sweat and work hard, instead of there constant bitching and crappy teaching skills, now they just want a pay check. Scared little bitches. The next generation is going to be dumber then the millennials with less social skills.. Public schools need to be abolished , and give the parents the choice.

Ummm - you do have a choice, actually you have multiple choices - look them up and choose one.

Don't need one my Kids are grown, grand Kids not quite old enough. Charter for sure. Glad to here teachers aren't essential , known that for years, look at my spelling, from the Payson learning derby..  They didn't care about academics, it was all football ,and we sucked.

On 8/5/2020 at 7:01 PM, PRDATR said:

I disagree.  Arizona is last in funding per pupil, yet we are ranked 34 nationally for ACT test scores.  Seems like some good value there.  Arizona is full of a lot of old people and others who don't want to pay because their kids are grown and gone now or they are just cheap bastards.  Same people complain about how bad education is but don't want to pay up.  We are last in spending folks, how much lower do you want to go?  I suppose if we pay even less we will get better results?  Great logic. 

I could understand complaining if we were at the top for spending but test results are at the bottom.  But we are last in spending and closer to the middle in test scores.

https://blog.prepscholar.com/average-sat-and-act-scores-by-stated-adjusted-for-participation-rate

"Arizona ranked last in spending per pupil for instruction at $4,308 compared to $7,406 nationally.Jun 14, 2019

• Like 2