n2horns

Cali Gov penalties on hiring tutors

15 hours ago, knothead said:

I disagree.  Arizona is last in funding per pupil, yet we are ranked 34 nationally for ACT test scores.  Seems like some good value there.  Arizona is full of a lot of old people and others who don't want to pay because their kids are grown and gone now or they are just cheap bastards.  Same people complain about how bad education is but don't want to pay up.  We are last in spending folks, how much lower do you want to go?  I suppose if we pay even less we will get better results?  Great logic. 

I could understand complaining if we were at the top for spending but test results are at the bottom.  But we are last in spending and closer to the middle in test scores.

https://blog.prepscholar.com/average-sat-and-act-scores-by-stated-adjusted-for-participation-rate

"Arizona ranked last in spending per pupil for instruction at $4,308 compared to $7,406 nationally.Jun 14, 2019

Wonder where we are if you take out all of the English as a second language students?🤔🤔

1 hour ago, AZkiller said:

Wonder where we are if you take out all of the English as a second language students?🤔🤔

Most of the ELL kids take the TOEFL exam versus the ACT........but, if you are looking at AZ Merit scores or AIMS scores, then yes, these results are greatly affected by ELL and SPED kids. Of course, AZ spent millions of dollars developing both of these exams to be used as an exit exam from high school and neither one is going to be used in the future. We should have just used the ACT across the state. 

9 minutes ago, Sam said:

Most of the ELL kids take the TOEFL exam versus the ACT........but, if you are looking at AZ Merit scores or AIMS scores, then yes, these results are greatly affected by ELL and SPED kids. Of course, AZ spent millions of dollars developing both of these exams to be used as an exit exam from high school and neither one is going to be used in the future. We should have just used the ACT across the state. 

I agree, ACT is a better measurement when comparing student performance both in state and with out of state students.  Everyone takes the same exam.  Test is very well regulated and has many checks & balances in place.  Next to impossible fabricate scores or cheat.

Public schools have to take ALL students and can't pick and choose like private schools and charter schools.  The Basis schools is a prime example of plucking all the best & brightest from public schools.  Just try to get your child with an IEP or 504 into those schools.  It ain't happen'n folks.  

• Like 1

More money in teachers pockets will NOT make dumb kids/parents smarter.  The NEA is a huge political action group for the DNC.  Despite what they spout they are NOT working for kids.  They are working for teachers pay and protecting bad teachers.   😷

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThomC said:

More money in teachers pockets will NOT make dumb kids/parents smarter.  The NEA is a huge political action group for the DNC.  Despite what they spout they are NOT working for kids.  They are working for teachers pay and protecting bad teachers.   😷

Same old excuse.  Some people don't see the value in education and how it is an investment rather than a bill to pay.  I certainly hope your pay is not at the bottom compared to people in same profession in all 50 states.  If it is, how do you feel about that?  The teachers union in AZ has no power at all.  Back east in more traditional union states maybe, but not AZ.  I only know a hand full of teachers who are members and it is mostly because they want the million dollar legal defense fund insurance in case someone tries to sue them.  We are a right to work state so you might want to find another reason why you don't want to pay up. 

More money in teachers pockets will not make kids any smarter I agree but it will attract better quality teachers.  If you don't understand that then there is no need to discuss anymore. 

You probably dont live in tucson but we have a strong union here.  Actually it is a Mexican mafia headed by geehalva.  ALSO the Nea raises money for the dnc which controls school boards which acts like a union.  You see there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Grijalva needa to go, Tucson needs to replace him.  He is crooked wack job.