PRDATR

loosing another Bashas

10 minutes ago, GreyGhost85 said:

LeeLee market on dobson/elliot usually has aquariums of live dungeness crabs for about $8lb. Sometimes they even have live blue crabs. I go there every couple months and get a couple. They are fantastic. They have a LOT of fresh seafood there for pretty cheap but i don’t get too adventurous. Their seafood counter is probably 60’ long. Just wear a mask to protect yourself from the smell and the china flu. 

Sounds like Lam's on this side of town, especially the smell part. Is it LeeLee Chinese owned?

I had my SO pick me up a live 2 lb. lobster ($28) and 3 lbs. of squid at Lam's a couple weeks ago. In this week's fliers, Ranch Market has blue crabs for $3.99 lb. They also have octopus on sale. I buy a small one and use it in a salad like ceviche. 

22 hours ago, Outdoor Writer said:

I started the meal off with a dozen raw cherrystone clams (Safeway) with lemon and a dash of Louisiana hot sauce. 

Thought I was the only one in AZ that eats clams on the half-shell. 😊

• Like 1

My SO just returned from Safeway with eight T-bones, on sale for $4.97 lb.. She also treated me with more cherrystone clams and two pounds of snow crab clusters. Clams and one of the steaks on tonight's menu.

On 8/9/2020 at 11:31 AM, wildwoody said:

Playing, its a slow weekend, I really like beef off the Hoff.. Aug 17th

You like the Hoff’s beef?!? 😂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Outdoor Writer said:

My SO just returned from Safeway with eight T-bones, on sale for $4.97 lb.. She also treated me with more cherrystone clams and two pounds of snow crab clusters. Clams and one of the steaks on tonight's menu.

Where were the clams from?

1 hour ago, bigorange said:

You like the Hoff’s beef?!? 😂

Ball buster.. 

Bashas sucks. Over priced and under staffed. Poor quality for "fresh" items. very good friend of mine has worked there for over 20 years and he doesnt even shop there. I get that they don't have the buying power of national chains, but you still need to find a way to be competitive.  If they were even close on price and had decent meat and produce id shop ther to support the little guy. 

8 hours ago, ctafoya said:

Bashas sucks. Over priced and under staffed. Poor quality for "fresh" items. very good friend of mine has worked there for over 20 years and he doesnt even shop there. I get that they don't have the buying power of national chains, but you still need to find a way to be competitive.  If they were even close on price and had decent meat and produce id shop ther to support the little guy. 

High prices on normal grocery items, but  show me somewhere else where you can buy beef tenderloin in the valley for $6.99 lb. on sale, and I'd gladly buy it there. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Both the clams ($5.99 lb.) and the steak were excellent. The pre-packaged steaks were cut about an 1" thick, and the "filet" part was large and very tender. The large side was not as tender but quite good.  

On 8/12/2020 at 2:47 PM, GreyGhost85 said:

LeeLee market on dobson/elliot usually has aquariums of live dungeness crabs for about $8lb. Sometimes they even have live blue crabs. I go there every couple months and get a couple. They are fantastic. They have a LOT of fresh seafood there for pretty cheap but i don’t get too adventurous. Their seafood counter is probably 60’ long. Just wear a mask to protect yourself from the smell and the china flu. 

Maryland blues?

22 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Maryland blues?

My best friend of 40+ years, Joe Reynolds, lives in Ocean City. Every time I go to visit we do at least one "let's pig out on crabs" night. But they ain't cheap in the restaurants. A dozen med. usually go for at least $75.

In a way, it's sort of goofy that we go buy them since Joe's house has a back bay called Manklin Creek in his backyard, and he has all the necessary gear for crabbing. One time when I was there, I used his nets off his boat dock and caught 2 dozen in a couple hours. That afternoon I made a crab salad with all the legs and bodies mixed with lemon juice & rinds, diced celery and parsley and left it to marinate overnight. 

2 hours ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Yum. Looks like a porterhouse, right?

Yup. I got it from Safeway's last t-bone sale.