PRDATR

loosing another Bashas

21 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Maryland blues?

Hard to say where they get them from. They are all up and down the east coast and well into the gulf as long as there is a marsh. We catch tons of them in Louisiana in the marshes and this time of year they are even running along the sandy beaches.

• Like 1

Got that information from the meat lab at the u of a here in Tucson. There f d a program trains a lot of the local butchers. Latest thing is nitrogen being pumped into the meat before being wrapped at the packing plant

1 hour ago, Jlreff said:

Got that information from the meat lab at the u of a here in Tucson. There f d a program trains a lot of the local butchers. Latest thing is nitrogen being pumped into the meat before being wrapped at the packing plant

Since about 80% of the air we breathe is nitrogen, the above is harmless. Plus, the gas is NOT being injected into the meat. Since the early 2000s, they have used nitrogen, carbon dioxide and a bit of carbon monoxide to PACKAGE the meat, which displaces the oxygen, thus helping retain the meat's red color. And...the increased nitrogen preserves freshness, protects the nutrients, and prevents aerobic microbial growth. This is NOT done for meat that is cut and packaged by a butcher in a store; it applies to only pre-packaged stuff. 

On 8/14/2020 at 2:16 PM, Outdoor Writer said:

My SO just returned from Safeway with eight T-bones, on sale for $4.97 lb.. She also treated me with more cherrystone clams and two pounds of snow crab clusters. Clams and one of the steaks on tonight's menu.

I also bought some of those steaks last week. Had one last night, in fact. It was fairly decent

15 hours ago, Jlreff said:

That’s true but also how they keep the meat fresher looking longer. 

I believe I said that in my post.  🙄

"And...the increased nitrogen preserves freshness, protects the nutrients, and prevents aerobic microbial growth."

Great deal on that beef!!!    I would go grab some, but trying to be optimistic and save freezer space for upcoming hunts.  🤣

4 minutes ago, stanley said:

Great deal on that beef!!!    I would go grab some, but trying to be optimistic and save freezer space for upcoming hunts.  🤣

No upcoming hunts in this house, so beef will have to do. I was going to wait until Costco had the loins on sale for $3.50 ala woody, but I'd likely be dead by then. 😉

• Haha 1

On 9/2/2020 at 10:59 AM, Outdoor Writer said:

Basha's has beef tenderloin for $6.77 lb. Fri. thru Mon. only. I'll be stocking up with two more.

Got some. 22 good cuts and some scraps. Think i will get more tomorrow. Pic is just one loin.

20200904_172527.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 5guyshunting said:

Got some. 22 good cuts and some scraps. Think i will get more tomorrow. Pic is just one loin.

20200904_172527.jpg

My wife bought the two largest they had yesterday. I'll be trimming and cutting today. Also picked up six T-bones at Ranch Market at $3.99 a pound. The latter sale also goes thru Mon. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 5guyshunting said:

20200904_172527.jpg

I see they had Cherio's on sale too,

do you normally get the munchies while playing with meat ;)

• Haha 1

I stopped by  bashas last week to try again. Produce literally had mold in the baskets they use to display. Donzo I will never go back. Sprouts is my go to now. 

1 hour ago, ctafoya said:

I stopped by  bashas last week to try again. Produce literally had mold in the baskets they use to display. Donzo I will never go back. Sprouts is my go to now. 

Isn't it great to be an American and have the freedom of choice for places to shop and what to buy? Kinda amounts to whatever floats your boat, eh? 🙄 In some countries, folks have to stand in line to get some flour & rice.

• Like 1