Sign in to follow this  
JiminAZ

Recommend me a Meat Slicer

Wife wants a meat slicer.  With a bunch of teen/young adult boys in the house we go through the meat.  Processed/ate 3 deer last year, have 3 elk tags this year.

Also it won't be slicing lunchmeat all the time - maybe thicker strips for jerkey, slicing a cooked elk roast, whatever.  And we will likely do cheese.  In a pinch we will be slicing ham or bacon or turkey breast or whatever.

We are buy once cry once people.  Don't need the super gucci giant rig from the deli, but do want something quality that will last and is reasonably easy to deploy, and clean up when done.  Don't want to spend a fortune but it seems to me that for $4-800 there ought to be a superb unit available for our use.  One that will do its job without causing frustration.

Have been looking at restaurant supplies online - lots of brands I don't recognize.  Would appreciate your experienced recommendations or maybe pointing us to reference material that will help our selection.

thanks.  Curious how old your Cabelas slicer is.  Looking at the reviews there are a lot of complaints about the blade not being parallel to the sliding surface, so the thickness isn't consistent, hitchy or cheap plastic slide construction, etc.  My guess is things are different since the Bass Pro acquisition.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, grey curse said:

Just bought the same model for a friend for $250. Will last forever but is HUGE and weighs 3 tons. Cannot go wrong with Hobart, right? 

45 minutes ago, My Rights As An American said:

Just bought the same model for a friend for $250. Will last forever but is HUGE and weighs 3 tons. Cannot go wrong with Hobart, right? 

It will last a couple of lifetimes.

Hobart commercial/industrial are very good.  Check out restaurant warehouses.

Buy once cry once.

Southwest Saw used to be on Thomas in Phoenix, and they sold industrial meat processing equipment, but it looks like they went belly up.

About 4 yrs ago from someone off here, love it for French dips, jerky, onions, much more, haven't notice in even slicing, and there is plastic .. Hobart is the chit thow.

If you live in Phoenix there’s a store that sells used and recycled restaurant equipment. My buddy was a salesman for them till he retired. My meat butcher here in Tucson also turned me on to them. I was looking for a meat grinder at the time. Mentioned holbart and first words out of his and the other three butchers was stay away. Wasn’t the same quality as before. There’s were thirty plus years old and going strong. Tried to buy them when they closed shop after fifty years but were sold to the above company already. He did mention another brand that was good but can’t remember the name but that store carries it also.

6 hours ago, Jlreff said:

If you live in Phoenix there’s a store that sells used and recycled restaurant equipment. My buddy was a salesman for them till he retired. My meat butcher here in Tucson also turned me on to them. I was looking for a meat grinder at the time. Mentioned holbart and first words out of his and the other three butchers was stay away. Wasn’t the same quality as before. There’s were thirty plus years old and going strong. Tried to buy them when they closed shop after fifty years but were sold to the above company already. He did mention another brand that was good but can’t remember the name but that store carries it also.

A bit anti-climatic don't you think?