Sign in to follow this  
bowhunter-tw

Which Zeiss reticle would you choose?

I have the 4-16x50 illuminating one and really like it I use it all the time and I went to order another one but they are back ordered, I went with Night Force. Good luck 

• Like 1

I like my Zeiss scopes with 2 flat straight lines, no marks, then I get Kenton turrets .

• Like 1

On 8/13/2020 at 12:59 PM, bowhunter-tw said:

those turrets are fairly pricey added on top of what you already paid for the scope, what is different about those turrets compared to what comes stock on the scope?

The turrets that come on the scope are MOA or Mills. The Kenton turrets are yardage turrets, based on your balistics and environmental that you specify. They are around $100. I have the V4 4-16x50 with the illuminated Z-MOA-1 (?)...like the 2nd one posted above. I really like it.

2 hours ago, Viper said:

The turrets that come on the scope are MOA or Mills. The Kenton turrets are yardage turrets, based on your balistics and environmental that you specify. They are around $100. I have the V4 4-16x50 with the illuminated Z-MOA-1 (?)...like the 2nd one posted above. I really like it.

Dang, that's pretty cool! my only hesitation would be that it restricts you to one load right? other that those sound sweet! Will definitely take a look at them.

21 hours ago, bowhunter-tw said:

Dang, that's pretty cool! my only hesitation would be that it restricts you to one load right? other that those sound sweet! Will definitely take a look at them.

Yes you will be stuck with that one load. Imho you wont need the turrets and I would choose #2 1st and #3 would be my second choice. I have a V4 4 X 16 X 44 and I wouldnt change the turrets on it its right on the money with a good ballistic app on my phone.

I generally dial for elevation and hold for wind.  Have a ballistic chart with come-up's and wind corrections taped to my stock.  In 308 you could zero at 200 and pretty much be  kill zone OK out to 250, maybe 275 yds.  Beyond that you'd dial in whatever elevation minutes or mils you need.

Wind is where the magic is.  Its hard to read, it's hard to quantify, it may vary between you and the target, and it makes a difference.  Under 500 yds not terrible but still the biggest variable to try to manage.

So any of those reticles would work for me as they have a horizontal scale, and I'd just want to have the right units (mils on the dial, mils on the reticle scale or same matching situation with MOA).  There are some scopes floating out there with mils in the reticle and MOA on the dials that make zero sense to me.

Finally, you likely know this, but 2nd focal plane reticles are only correct at full magnification.