Sign in to follow this  
maximus

Usery Archery Range

Does anyone know what is going on at Usery?

all of the targets are shot to crap, very few targets to shoot at.

Not maintained at all.

• Like 1

Its a complete disaster out there. I bought a year pass. I need to find out who to complain to. 

Yep the targets are bad out there. Seems like they haven’t done much since COVID hit. Ive been going to Paseo in Chandler to shoot. No 3d’s but its free

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ctafoya said:

Its a complete disaster out there. I bought a year pass. I need to find out who to complain to. 

i'm trying to do the same, find somebody to complain to. i already lost a couple of arrows because the carpet is so chewed up that goes thru and hits something hard, also some of the 3D's are not good.

hmm , sounds like the COVID way.  like Verizon.  close up all the stores , offer no support or help.  dont maintain or upgrade the towers.  then sit back and collect money.....

Thank you for reaching out regarding your concerns and I am aware of several improvements/repairs needing to be done at the Archery Range. Due to COVID rearing its ugly head and then subsequent operation changes that took place, Archery Range has certainly felt the impact. During our busy season, we have approximately 22 Park Hosts that assist with various job duties within the park, including Archery Range, restroom cleaning and campground sites (we have 75 to maintain).  Several of these park hosts left early due to COVID which required more of maintenance staff while we continued to be at our busiest as far as park visitors and campground use.

We have a long list of park projects at this present time, including Archery Range and notably, Archery Range is one at the top of our list. Now is the ideal time to work it as well, since we are much slower (overall/park).  Unfortunately however, we have been limited in maintenance staff for several months (due to reduced schedule/COVID). Several days throughout the week, I only have one maintenance person working and a lot of work that needs to be done at the Archery Range involves more than one person to do.  Staff have tried to be diligent in changing targets and several target butts were removed from the lower range because of the condition of the target butt and moved to the maintenance compound so repairs can be done and ultimately the target butts are to be rebuilt.

We currently have a volunteer who has stepped up to assist with maintaining our 3D targets and have a small handful of volunteers that assist but only as they have time because they also work. As far as unemployment, I wish we had the ability to hire at whim, as we need help but unfortunately it is not that simple.  Certainly, if you know of anyone interested in volunteering, they can certainly reach out to me.  Currently, one of our volunteers is in the process of gathering people to assist us with a service day project at the Archery Range, specifically rebuilding target butts and/or replacing target butts, and that is date is set for this Saturday, August 15. 

Again, thank you for sharing your concerns, it is a difficult time but we are aware and as I noted above, the Archery Range will continue to be our top priority.  If you have any questions, please feel free to call or email me.

Supervisor, Usery Mountain Regional Park

Maricopa County Parks & Recreation Department

3939 N. Usery Pass Road

Mesa, AZ 85207

www.maricopacountyparks.net

Sent: Thursday, August 13, 2020 6:50 AM
To: Maricopa County Parks <MaricopaCountyParks@maricopa.gov>
Subject: Usery Mountain Park

Good Morning<

I go to Usery mountain 4 times a week to shoot archery and the archery range is a disaster, there are almost no decent targets to shoot, I will say that 85% of the targets are not maintained, I pay to go shoot and it is terrible, why are not maintained? If is covid I’m sure you can find people to work with all the unemployment.

It is very poor service.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

On 8/13/2020 at 5:51 AM, runningbird said:

hmm , sounds like the COVID way.  like Verizon.  close up all the stores , offer no support or help.  dont maintain or upgrade the towers.  then sit back and collect money.....

I can’t speak for their customer support or retail locations but I can assure you Verizon maintaines and upgrades their towers. 

Sounds like a great time to volunteer.

It sounds like they would really appreciate the help.

• Like 2

Get a bunch of people and head out there and fix it? Bring a grill and make a day out of it?

I feel for you city slickers who have to go to a range to practice,but thats the bed you make. Take your target and go to the desert...a bow isnt a fire arm.

14 minutes ago, TOBY said:

I feel for you city slickers who have to go to a range to practice,but thats the bed you make. Take your target and go to the desert...a bow isnt a fire arm.

yeah and every one of us does that also. usery archery range is usually really nice, we have a great time shooting there. you dont sound hardcore, you sound ignorant. 

Nope just live in a small town and dont have to dick around with ranges. Hardcore thats funny coming from the roadhunting king... 

Looks like your inquiry lit a fire under someone's but. Its fixed now.