Sign in to follow this  
UggRedBilly

Knife Recommendations

28 minutes ago, UggRedBilly said:

Any sharpeners you would recommend? I only killed 1 deer and used 3 dull knifes and a hatchet and I was still barley able to skin and quarter it

I carry an Accusharp in my pack for touching up an edge in the field. I have DMT Diasharp diamond stones at home for more intense work.

11 minutes ago, Heat said:

I carry an Accusharp in my pack for touching up an edge in the field. I have DMT Diasharp diamond stones at home for more intense work.

Gotcha! Thank you!

39 minutes ago, UggRedBilly said:

Sounds good. I will add those cut resisting gloves to the list. I find myself not paying attention or making dumb mistakes a lot

He is saying to have them for the replacement blade knives.  Just another thing to worry about. 

Fixed blade and a sharpener is all I need.

If your looking for sharpening stuff, I've bought some things from these guys sharpeningsupplies.com.

My buddy makes awesome home made knives! I always carry one or two of his knives while hunting. But I also carry a few $15 rapala fish filet knives and a box cutter. I don’t want to stop and sharpen so I just switch out and get it done. I also use the fish filet knives in the kitchen on a daily basis. I strop or run on a stone after every use and if they chip or won’t hold an edge for some reason, I toss them and spend another $15.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heat said:

A Buck 110 and a Forschner/Victorinox 6 inch semi flex curved boning knife and a good sharpener is all you will ever need.

Agreed, a Buck 110 and a sharpener is hard to beat. I received mine at 14 years old and my boys got theirs for graduating hunters safety. I have broken down many a animal with that blade. It fits the hand nice and the blade is stout enough to separate joints. Not as cool looking as Damascus steel but a real using heirloom.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, HorseHunter said:

Agreed, a Buck 110 and a sharpener is hard to beat. I received mine at 14 years old and my boys got theirs for graduating hunters safety. I have broken down many a animal with that blade. It fits the hand nice and the blade is stout enough to separate joints. Not as cool looking as Damascus steel but a real using heirloom.

Wow that sounds awesome!