Sign in to follow this  
UggRedBilly

Knife Recommendations

I must be the only one here who loves a Havalon replaceable blade knife.  I have 3 of them.  Two Baracuta (the filet knife size) and a Pirahnta.  Super light, quick to change blades even with gore covered hands, scalpel sharp, cheap.  I have had them for years.  Takes one blade for a deer/pronghorn, two for an elk.  

I highly doubt they will go out of business and replacement blades will be unavailable.  They sell too many of them.  

I have several other knives that I carry, but these are my go-to knife in the field.  If I lose one, oh well.  I would cry if I lost my ZT S35VN, Benchmade S30V, Or several others.  

• Like 1

I have two ESEE knives and both of them would shave hair right out of the box. If I gift the knife or sell it and they break the blade ESEE will replace it and they are made in the US. The blades are stout, something I prefer in a knife, this one is perfect IMHO. I have the Ashley game knife which I purchased from SMKW without any issues.

https://www.smkw.com/esee-ashley-game-knife-gray-micarta

2 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

I must be the only one here who loves a Havalon replaceable blade knife.  I have 3 of them.  Two Baracuta (the filet knife size) and a Pirahnta.  Super light, quick to change blades even with gore covered hands, scalpel sharp, cheap.  I have had them for years.  Takes one blade for a deer/pronghorn, two for an elk.  

I highly doubt they will go out of business and replacement blades will be unavailable.  They sell too many of them.  

I have several other knives that I carry, but these are my go-to knife in the field.  If I lose one, oh well.  I would cry if I lost my ZT S35VN, Benchmade S30V, Or several others.  

I like a good solid fixed blade for field work, but love a Haralson for skinning and caping. 

Less than a week after moving into my dads, some jackals went through my truck and stole my 10+ year old Chsrlie May. Pussed me off. Ordered a new one and moved on though. 

13 hours ago, UggRedBilly said:

Any sharpeners you would recommend? I only killed 1 deer and used 3 dull knifes and a hatchet and I was still barley able to skin and quarter it

I use a cheap Smith knife sharpener and it’s done a good job for me.  I will run my knife through the sharpener a couple times and it good to go again.  My skinning knife was a free gift from hunting fool magazine so I doubt it’s very expensive but it’s been a great knife.  The blade is strong enough to separate joints and it’s the only knife I use. 

On 8/13/2020 at 6:30 PM, mulie hunter said:

Its the saddle mountain skinner from the hunt collection.

And I like it when my knife has that red on it!!!

I have the same one with no gut hook. It works very well for the big work. We did 2 mule deer with mine without reshaping it. It did well on elk too, but a buddy of mine had 1 of these for the small work on the elk and it was AWESOME. I picked up a used alpha wolf and bought my hunting buddy the cub bear for xmas last year.

https://www.knivesofalaska.com/Store/cub-bear/cub-bear---suregrip

Screenshot_20200814-200655_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

I need to try the larger Havalon. I have tried the smaller one and a small Gerber on elk and it sucked. I went back to my benchmade. 

I have almost every knife mentioned and IMHO replaceable blades really can’t be beat. Get a Havalon Titan or a Shockey and have both a folding and a replaceable. I would shy away from damascus online  because they can be finicky . Benchmade are great I have 4 and a bunch of customs, carry a benchmade.  Havalon now has the little plastic tool for removing blades and storing so it is simple, also gut hook, saw blade, and skinning blades. My most recent addition is a Kestrel, insanely lightweight and uses the same disposable blades. 

20 hours ago, rcdinaz said:

I have almost every knife mentioned and IMHO replaceable blades really can’t be beat. Get a Havalon Titan or a Shockey and have both a folding and a replaceable. I would shy away from damascus online  because they can be finicky . Benchmade are great I have 4 and a bunch of customs, carry a benchmade.  Havalon now has the little plastic tool for removing blades and storing so it is simple, also gut hook, saw blade, and skinning blades. My most recent addition is a Kestrel, insanely lightweight and uses the same disposable blades. 

Sounds good thank you! I never heard of that kinda material before

15 hours ago, UggRedBilly said:

Sounds good thank you! I never heard of that kinda material before

Are you referring to Damascus Steel?

45 minutes ago, UggRedBilly said:

Yes! That is the type of metal in the blade! Not the brand if there even is a brand called that!

Damascus steel making dates back almost 2000 years and is very interesting in of itself. It was even used to make gun barrels. but those barrels are not suitable for the higher pressures of smokeless powder.

19 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

Damascus steel making dates back almost 2000 years and is very interesting in of itself. It was even used to make gun barrels. but those barrels are not suitable for the higher pressures of smokeless powder.

Gotcha! Thank you!