Sign in to follow this  
UggRedBilly

Knife Recommendations

9 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

Damascus steel making dates back almost 2000 years and is very interesting in of itself. It was even used to make gun barrels. but those barrels are not suitable for the higher pressures of smokeless powder.

I own my grandfather's Parker Bros. 10 ga. that was made sometime in the late 1800s. I posted the following in the Parker Bro. Collector's Forum in 2011.

Several years ago, I inherited a 10 ga. from my grandfather when he passed away. Although it all seems to be original with matching SNs on the barrels, forearm and receiver, it's unfortunately not in pristine shape.

It was likely rusty at some point because it appears the outer metal was perhaps polished clean with maybe a wire brush or steel wool. There are no actual scratches but there is some pitting left. The hammers, firing pins and triggers are intact and work just fine, as does the lifter release.

Here's a quick description:

Exposed hammers, lifter-type action and 35 1/2" (36"??) Damascus barrels. It has a small silver shield behind the tang and minimal engraving -- just scroll work, no birds and such. So I guess it's one of the lower grades produced.

The buttstock is walnut with a very nice figure to it. It has a silver metal butt plate. Slight crack between tang and the shield and the checkering has been worn down a bit. Forend also is cracked along the entire length except for about an inch at the front. It is still in one piece, however.

The SN is 18884. Other numbers I can find are a Patent of April 19 (or 12), 1876 and the number 9761 under the barrel. There are also a 4-1 and 3 stamped where the barrels fits to the action. The Patent on the buttstock is March 16, 1875.

I looked at the list of SNs here and see it was seemingly made in 1880.

I've pretty much resigned myself to continue using it has a decoration in my trophy room because of the sentimental value but wonder as to the real worth of it.

These are a few replies I received:

According to the Serialization Book compiled from Parker Brothers stock books, your gun appears to be a rare Grade 2 36" Damascus steel barrel ten gauge lifter action Parker with straight grip stock, unfortunately in abused condition.

Yes, rare, like not many made in that configuration. It makes Parker guys like me just go crazy. There were 12 ten gauge Grade 2 lifter Parkers made with 36" Damascus steel barrels according to our Serialization Book reference. There were 13 ten gauge Grade 2 lifters of all barrel types made with 36" barrels from a total ten gauge lifter Grade 2 production of 1854. There were 21 Grade 2 36" barrel lifters made in all gauges. These totals were extrapolated by the authors, but not necessarily accurately.

picture.php?albumid=257&pictureid=2562

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UggRedBilly said:

Yes! That is the type of metal in the blade! Not the brand if there even is a brand called that!

most damascus is from pak-sh$@-istan. Even domestic damascus is mostly for show and is inferior to most produced steels.

I run a buck 110 holds a edge but pain in the butt to sharpen. A outdoor edge big game for skinning a lightweight Ferber pack saw and a cheap fixed blade for breaking in the field. But mostly due everything with the buck 110. In fact just sharpened it for the upcoming hunts. After two years and numerous animals later. I run a sharping steel in between uses. As for a sharpening tool I use a Lan s k y a sky diamond stone and a homemade leather strop. But will be going to razor edges stones next year.

20 hours ago, Jlreff said:

I run a buck 110 holds a edge but pain in the butt to sharpen. A outdoor edge big game for skinning a lightweight Ferber pack saw and a cheap fixed blade for breaking in the field. But mostly due everything with the buck 110. In fact just sharpened it for the upcoming hunts. After two years and numerous animals later. I run a sharping steel in between uses. As for a sharpening tool I use a Lan s k y a sky diamond stone and a homemade leather strop. But will be going to razor edges stones next year.

Sounds good. Thank you

I have 3 buck folders that are 40 years old. I carry a diamond steel and they are sharp enough to cut through hide with only a few strokes on the steel. Light and sharp and all I will ever need.