Think about a NEF youth model in 20 gauge. Safe, built in basics of learning to uncock the hammer on a live round, single shot so makes you focus.

The center fires are pretty much junk but the shotguns are solid.

Cabelas had a bunch of 410 and 28 gauge TriStars?? semi auto for under 500$. Very light and not much recoil. Just start him off loading one shell. My girls started with a Browning Gold Hunter 20 and 1 shell limit. They worked up to a 2nd shell and then a 3rd. Stay away from single shot break open. At 8 there will be too much kick even from a 20 gauge.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DUG said:

Cabelas had a bunch of 410 and 28 gauge TriStars?? semi auto for under 500$. Very light and not much recoil. Just start him off loading one shell. My girls started with a Browning Gold Hunter 20 and 1 shell limit. They worked up to a 2nd shell and then a 3rd. Stay away from single shot break open. At 8 there will be too much kick even from a 20 gauge.

My son has a 12 gauge Tristar and has never had a single problem with it. Very reliable.

• Like 1

I recommend what dug said , my boy started on a semi auto youth Tristar. One shell at a time in  the beginning.  Very light and has very little recoil in the autos. No issues with ours yet either.

Long ago I got my young kids a super small 20 ga single shot Savage.  It was just beyond legal length  cut off barrel and with a short stock - perfect for handling by an 8 to 11 yr old.  PROBLEM:  with full power loads, it kicked like a mule.  I got a 20 ga reloader and loaded up a box or two minimum loads and it worked really well for a training gun but the shots could only be 10-15 yards with no choke.  

Note this gun is only good for about 2 years.  Those kids grow but more importantly, they want the 3 shots volley availability!.  Awh those were the days.  

thanks for all the replies.  I went with the mossberg 510 mini 20 gauge .. its a sweet little gun .. he shot it 1 time lol that was enough for him .. he is still kind of small .. hopefully i can get him to shoot it more before dove season..