Sign in to follow this  
BeardownAZ

Rifle recommendations

I forgot three more-

Steyr SM 12, Anschutz 1782 and Sako.

I'd look for a Winchester Model 70 Supergrade with extra good wood, and have the action trued and rebarreled in the chambering of your choice for an accurate rifle.  I always thought the Cooper Western Classic with case hardening and the octagon barrel exuded class.

6.5 PRC, 270 Win, 7 Rem Mag, 280 AI, 270 WSM, 300 WSM

• Like 1

On 8/14/2020 at 7:31 PM, Gunit said:

I used this out of the box Weatherby Mark V Classicmark in 7mm mag on my sheep hunt and several others. The only change was to install a Timney trigger. The gun always shoots 3 Barnes 145 LRX into .6”, not bad for a sporter-weight barrel and wood stock.  It cracks me up that there are people out there that believe that you are handicapping yourself by using a traditional finish rifle.

E22FFC7D-5AA0-4921-82D7-8714FA937E06.jpeg

Listen to this guy. 

• Like 2

I like your style in rifles. I do have more synthetic stocks then traditional, do to the advantages with bull barrels and better ergonomics with long range shooting. You already acknowledge the down falls with wood stock, so its all good. I like my Kimber classic in 270 wsm. It shoots the 140 accubond really well and it is very balanced in my hands. The current Kimber offerings in wood stock is limited to what it used to be. I also have several Model 70s and 700s in various calibers but I feel the Kimber is a better looking and shooting rifle. They dont have the mass produced look to them.    

I was going to say ruger but looked at there website and wood stocks are almost non existent any more which is pretty sad. the Hawkeye's have wood stocks but cals are selective, might want to also look at Remington 700bdls I didnt look to see if they still sold wood stocks.

It’s great to see people still into these types of rifles. I’m also kicking around spending the money on my current Win Model 70 270 wsm and doing some upgrades and getting a new rifle later. Yes I was kicking around another rifle when I had what I was asking for, lol. What can I say, I like guns and what’s wrong with more options!! I still like the idea of having a 7mag or some of the calibers you guys suggested.  I also wondered if rebarreling my current setup would make a difference from say a factory 24 to 26 inch. So it boils down to buy a new or newer to me gun Now or spend the money on improvements on my current rifle and get another gun sometime down the road

There is a nice savage for sale in the classifieds right now. I dont like wood stocks but I do like that one. It looks very nice IMO.

Don't try to do to much with one rifle.   If you want a classic wood stock sportter barrel gun then do it.   If you are going to put some money into a gun that you want to shoot REALLY accurate then do it.  I'm not against either but trying to accomplish to much with one rifle will drive you crazy.    No reason not to have many rifles.   

Also not a fan of "magnum" rounds.   They cost more to shoot, they beat you to death or you put a muzzle break on the gun and beat your ears to death.    In today's world you can do great if you know the velocity of the round and do some practicing.    A 30-06 will kill anything and then some in the lower 48.    More gun than a guy needs but.....if they came out with another 300 super magnum a bunch of guys would buy it and say you can't kill a deer without the new super magnum.   I shoot a 6.5X284 (basically a .270) and I would point that at anything that won't eat me.  It's also a pleasure to shoot.  

I always liked the Sako 75 but never bought and still mad at myself. Believe they don’t make that rifle now.  

Tikka!  Nuff said