bradleylarson48

Meat in the heat

Yeah, save the best meat first if you have split trips then just do your best. That's all you can really do.  

7 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

How far is the closest place to get ice from your truck? Depending on that if you need to make 2 trips with meat take all the prime meat first, loins, back straps etc and haul butt to the truck,  get ice and haul butt back.  

Note, when having a full heavy pack and being in a hurry make sure you have walking sticks. 

Hind quarters first 

1 minute ago, oz31p said:

Hind quarters first 

I’ll probably do everything except the front quarters if it’s too heavy but I’m gonna try to get it done In one trip

Good luck! I would get one down first and see what works for you. Make sure to pre hydrate! Maybe a gallon of water the day before. Get after em

35 minutes ago, HyNoon said:

How long do you think the trip out is to hike it out? Time wise ...

Idk probably 45 minutes with gear

A bone in hind quarter is the first to go bad.

your not going to lose any meat with a 2.5mile/45min hike

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oz31p said:

A bone in hind quarter is the first to go back. 

your not going to lose any meat with a 2.5mile/45min hike

Agree with this guy. Have a few ice chests in your truck. Ice is cheap, frozen jugs are cheaper. Walk out with what you can. I was able to take a doe in July once. Buddy of mine shot it with G&F permission in a lady’s yard after it was hit by a car. From the time it was shot to the time it was in the fridge was 30-45 min!! Worst meat I ever tried to eat!!!!! Probably adrenaline after being hit by a car but even the burger wasn’t edible. Dogs ate a lot but some cuts they shyed away from. Point is, kill it quick and get it cool.

• Like 2

I’ve killed 4 August deer in Central Arizona with temps between 90-100,  2 deep in on backpack hunts. 

never lost any meat. Kill your deer, pack it out. You’ll be fine. 

• Like 4

I understand the OPs concern but this is seriously a non-issue if you take just a few precautions. Have an ice chest at the truck, bone out the meat, carry the best cuts back first in relation to the gear you can't leave behind. 2.5 miles and 45 minutes is nothing for a young determined hunter.

Go shoot another buck!

• Like 3

I'll post again. 

Just do the best you can.  Id rather there be some meat spoilage, than you end up in the hospital with IVs sticking out of you.

• Like 1

find a friend you can trust that has a strong back and one of the following:

1. bad memory

2. no sense of direction

3. no phone

4. prefers long walks on the beach over hunting

You shouldn’t have a problem packing out a whole deer in one trip for 2.5 miles if the terrain isn’t too steep. Yeah, it sucks but honestly (unless it’s a BIG buck) we’re talkin about probably 60-80lbs if meat. Less if it’s a small one, slightly more on a big buck. I did 150lbs for about 3 miles a few years ago. it sucked but can be done. You’re young and it won’t take all the tread off your joints yet. 

• Like 2