Sign in to follow this  

Does he do it out of his house? What machinery?

I had an 80% kit. I started it, got intimidated and sold it to a member here. Not sure if he got to shoot it yet. 

33 minutes ago, Green Bullet said:

anybody have any success with the 80% AR builds?  I just ordered a kit and gonna give it a try.

You should be fine if you got the 80% from the same place you got the jig, dont expect one jig from one company to work with others as they are not interchangeable in alot of cases..

youd be best to buy a small drill press as well. to drill the holes as a hand drill flat out sucks and 99% of the time you will oversize the holes and or drill them crooked jig or no jig. remember drill alum as slow as you can go in a drill press or hand drill lots of wd40 tranny oil or what ever. and peck drill the holes with oil in between pecks.

if a few bucks isnt the issue I would buy some reamers for the side holes and FCG, drill a tad undersized then ream the hole, reason being a drilled hole in a not rigid machine looks like shoot and is generally oversized. this will cause problems with loose fitting upper to lower as a screwy FCG with issues.

want drills and reamers get them from Mcmastercarr. cheap butt drill press from the Chinese embassy.

and go slow and routing and drill.

1 hour ago, Green Bullet said:

anybody have any success with the 80% AR builds?  I just ordered a kit and gonna give it a try.

I'm glad you posted this. A friend who isn't a gun owner per sey was asking me if I knew a Smith in the Old Pueblo who could do some machining on one. He didn't exactly know what needed to be machined his friend told him what parts to buy.

I explained to him that people I knew who has bought parts and assembled them never needed to have machining done so I'm curious as to what is everyone needeing to have machined exactly.

you have to be very careful on what is 80% from the manufacturers stand point. as in the early years lots of people were making them and centering the FCG holes which is ILLEGAL unless you have a Letter from BATF. which means if they dont have a letter and BATF stating their lower is NOT a  firearm they came and closed them down they can get all the customers info and go after that customer doubtfull on the customer but it has happened to alot of Garage shops and machine shops that sprouted up to just make so called 80% lowers.

Only BATF can designate wether its a firearm or not. when the 80%'s came out it was a nighmare for alot of shops cause people tend to push the limits to make a buck.

so anyway lets say you have a 80% lower, you and only you can finish it, Build party's are Illegal thanks to that dickhead in Ca back in the obama days. if you have a machine shop or gunsmith finish a lower. that shop must have a FFL manufacturing licence not if's and's or butts about it. and also it will have to be done on a 4473 form like buying a complete firearm.

Heres a pic of a 80% lower and what needs to be done, pulled it off yahoo pics

1_AR15_80_percent_lower_billet_anodized_3-3-931x650.jpg

2ar-1580.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Delw said:

you have to be very careful on what is 80% from the manufacturers stand point. as in the early years lots of people were making them and centering the FCG holes which is ILLEGAL unless you have a Letter from BATF. which means if they dont have a letter and BATF stating their lower is NOT a  firearm they came and closed them down they can get all the customers info and go after that customer doubtfull on the customer but it has happened to alot of Garage shops and machine shops that sprouted up to just make so called 80% lowers.

Only BATF can designate wether its a firearm or not. when the 80%'s came out it was a nighmare for alot of shops cause people tend to push the limits to make a buck.

so anyway lets say you have a 80% lower, you and only you can finish it, Build party's are Illegal thanks to that dickhead in Ca back in the obama days. if you have a machine shop or gunsmith finish a lower. that shop must have a FFL manufacturing licence not if's and's or butts about it. and also it will have to be done on a 4473 form like buying a complete firearm.

Heres a pic of a 80% lower and what needs to be done, pulled it off yahoo pics

1_AR15_80_percent_lower_billet_anodized_3-3-931x650.jpg

2ar-1580.jpg

Gotcha. So I am guessing that these also didn't need to have a Serial Number on them then.

No if your building one for your self you dont need a serial number or any paper work. 80% is just considered a block of metal.

add'd should have said 1 2 3 4 or many and your not going to sell them and keep them for yourself. as you can make as many as you want for yourself

on your first time read the directions 2 to 6 times then do a few dry runs then take your time do not rush. I have done a number of ar 15/10 also 1911s always use the metal 80% for the ar 80% al. is fine when I do the 1911s I use the harden steel 80%.

Enjoy and have fun