Sign in to follow this  
Zeke-BE

New Mexico Antelope 2020

Another Year at New Mexico!  Arrived the day before the hunt and was glassing away.  This year was lot more goats out and about.  We found some decent bucks to get a game plan.  Then I spotted a really nice size buck but looking at him at 800 yards on my 15s with his head down it looked like it was coming out like a unicorn!  Took off to located a plan B buck and one for my hunting buddy.  Drove down the road and found Lance and asked if he found a starting point.  He was in the middle of watching some bedded down Goats and a decent one to get his Daughter on opening morning.  I told him about Unicorn and said I would love to get him tomorrow morning.  Later that even we left and got a Text from Lance "Oh man, you have to kill Unicorn!  He is cool!!"  

That morning got to are spot and when the sun came up all those goats we spotted yesterday were not there.  After about a 1/2 hour went by my buddy spotted Unicorn!  About 1300 yards out.  He looked like he was on state land.  Pulled up OnX and there is a small strip of private and by luck he was on it.  So I took off after him.  Got set up on him while he was bedded.  He was pretty exposed so I took the shot.  Bad idea I was an inch high over his back.  He stood up and I aimed a little lower but hit high on his leg and bottom part of his chest brisket bleeding bad!  He ran my way and he looked like he was going to tip over but got moving again and stopped about 300 yards looking at me.  Not ideal but I put it right on his chest slightly quartered and dropped him.  I didn't want him to see me and keep running.  

IMG-0311.thumb.jpg.d9427142bc740581ba9b258c29723fdb.jpg

IMG-0317.thumb.jpg.442573a4823c38d836621a27e0d34eb8.jpgIMG-0307.thumb.jpg.1884d460966837fc2a0656a91baaeb65.jpg

I couldn't believe my luck.  That never happens to me.  Spot my buck the day before, find him the next morning and drop him.  Always Always I never find them the next morning and make it happen.  

After that we put my buddy on a couple of bucks but can't make it happen.  Then early afternoon I glass one up at around 1600 yards and can tell he was nice from there.  So we went after him.  He dropped him at 375 yards while I radio him in from 860 yards.  Good thing there were pinons to hide around or this guy would of busted out of there.   He stood up and started stomping hit hoofs but couldn't tell where or what he was at 375.

IMG-0352.thumb.JPG.d3e714059750cb8cc3343311675af9d9.JPG

IMG-0333.thumb.jpg.9cf88b7ee760da20d4b943458bac7cfb.jpgIMG-3623.thumb.JPG.a4b1086dc1245a13a6e5634c901e8796.JPG

• Like 9

Putting hands on that buck was amazing.  Great pair of bucks.

As you know, I will be having a story of my own soon.  One more day to get Taylor a buck.

• Like 2

Gnarly buck!! Congratulations to you and your buddy!

Loved the kill shot footage. Dumped him!

• Like 1

Outstanding, Brandin!!!     Super cool!!

Lance sent me a pic of his buck.  Looks like a great year!   I was tied up this weekend, so heading up on Friday. Can’t wait!!

S.  

• Like 1

Man that's an Awesome buck , very unique rack that I could never pass up.  Good choice. Congrats to you and your buddy on both getting great bucks.

• Like 1

Nice goats but dag it looks like you hit that one with a mortar good job. cool looking country

• Like 1