down2hunt

Crossbow tuning help

Hi, group. I've been trying to tune in Ravin R10 crossbow for the up and coming elk hunt but I have been running into issues. Its shoots lights out up to 60 yards and anything passed that the bolts are all over the place. Any crossbow techs out there that you would recommend? 

Thanks,

JD

Are you using raven bolts? And what tip are you shooting ?Target tip? Broadhead? 

Ive had the same problem. Certain mechanical broadheads will partially open or even fully open in flight . because of the speed of your crossbow. Throwing of the true flight of the bolt. 

I use Grim reaper Whitetail specials100 grain mechanicals. And they fly true and straight. 

Also depending on where you hitting the target make a difference. Are you everywhere? If so its most likely your tip.. To high or to low . its the speed adjustment on your scope.  If your scope is like mine. Then you sight it in at 20 yards dead on. Then on your scope there should be a speed setting. Depending on the speed of your bow 350 360 400 etc.. You set your scope to that setting. My bow is supposed to shoot 400 ft. Per second .. IT DOESNT. It shoots 384 with a 400 grain barnett bolt and 100 grain broadhead. I could not sight it dead on at 20. I had to step out to 30 yards. And set my bow to 375 ft per second. Now im about a half inch or less high at 20 but out to a 100 dead on. 

I never use a target tip to sight in. Always have used the tip i will be hunting with. 

Hope this help you some. Good luck

Sent you a PM. I'll walk you through what we did last yeat to get our R10 dialed in for my son. We have it shooting at 100 yards with rifle accuracy. The purple X shows his point of aim, the arrow and red dots are his 3 shot group. 5-10 mph wind from 100 yards. 

31446.thumb.jpeg.ced8e70eb8cc06da6636b01fdb66ab9b.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rossislider said:

Sent you a PM. I'll walk you through what we did last yeat to get our R10 dialed in for my son. We have it shooting at 100 yards with rifle accuracy. The purple X shows his point of aim, the arrow and red dots are his 3 shot group. 5-10 mph wind from 100 yards. 

31446.thumb.jpeg.ced8e70eb8cc06da6636b01fdb66ab9b.jpeg

That's impressive.

13 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

That's impressive.

Today's crossbows are accurate as heck. I have 3 different  crossbows.  I have a Horton storm. And a Barnett Whitetail pro str, and now a new Ravin R26. They all are very acurate out to 100 yards. My Barnett is the most acurate . With it a Robinhood shot is common at any yardage up to 100 . I can keep it on a paper plate at 150. But wouldn't trust myself passed 100 at a animal. I pretty much use my crossbow  for every hunt possible  

• Like 1

Will your field tips group past 60?  If it is only with broadheads,  try a change.  1" Slicktricks shoot out to 100 from my Raven real well, hit 2" to the right from the field tips.  I can live with that. 

Thanks all, after some research and thanks to all your help. I found the issue. The right cam is out of timing. (Please see the attached photo)  Possibly from the string stretching. Note: the 2 dots on the cam is the indicator where the string should be when properly timed. 

20200817_100516.jpg

On 8/17/2020 at 6:38 AM, down2hunt said:

Hi, group. I've been trying to tune in Ravin R10 crossbow for the up and coming elk hunt but I have been running into issues. Its shoots lights out up to 60 yards and anything passed that the bolts are all over the place. Any crossbow techs out there that you would recommend? 

Thanks,

JD

Are you currently utilizing a Ravin Crossbow, and if so, what type of bolts and tips are you using? Specifically, are you using a target tip or a broadhead?

I have encountered a similar issue with my crossbow. I found that certain mechanical broadheads would either partially or fully open in flight, disrupting the true flight of the bolt due to the high speed of the crossbow.

Personally, I use Grim Reaper Whitetail Specials 100-grain mechanicals, and have found that they fly true and straight. It's worth noting that where you hit the target can also make a difference. If you're hitting all over the place, it's likely due to the tip being too high or low. In this case, you'll need to adjust the speed setting on your scope accordingly.

My scope, for example, is set at dead-on at 20 yards, with an option to adjust the speed setting based on my crossbow's speed (in my case, around 384 feet per second with a 400-grain Barnett bolt and 100-grain broadhead). To achieve optimal accuracy, I had to step out to 30 yards and adjust my bow's speed to 375 feet per second. With this setting, I can achieve dead-on accuracy up to 100 yards. One important note is that I never use a target tip to sight in. Instead, I always use the tip I plan to hunt with.

I hope this information proves helpful to you, and good luck in your hunting endeavors.

• Like 1