Outdoor Writer

SOLD -Vintage Circe Predator Call

15 minutes ago, C.Shoemaker said:

The Jewel Box!  What a cool store.  I remember tons of rifles lined up where anyone could look at them.  Is it true the store closed after someone committed suicide with a circular saw?

I don't recall ever hearing the suicide story. BUT...before they can display gas-driven tools, they are supposed to empty the gas tanks. 

I worked there in 1969, but I never counted all the rifles on display between the floor racks and behind the counters. There were a bunch of them, tho.

20 minutes ago, C.Shoemaker said:

The Jewel Box!  What a cool store.  I remember tons of rifles lined up where anyone could look at them.  Is it true the store closed after someone committed suicide with a circular saw?

It was an electric circular saw. Here you go. 

Oct. 1986

Man kills himself with power saw in pawnshop

PHOENIX -- A man asked a clerk in a pawnshop to plug in a power saw so he could check it out, then turned on the saw, pulled back the safety guard and put the blade to his neck, killing himself, authorities said.

The unidentified man took a 10-inch circular power saw and some money up to the counter at the Jewel Box Loan Co. Tuesday afternoon.

'I thought he was going to put it on layaway -- we do that a lot,' said clerk Mike Gibson. 'He asked for a plug to check it out because we sell them 'as is.'

'When I plugged it in, he pulled back the (blade) guard with one hand, fired it up and put it to his neck. I tried to stop him, but no way I could.

'The guy tried to cut his head off. That's all there is to it.'

Fire Department paramedics pronounced the man dead at the scene. They said the saw blade cut through the left side of the man's neck and into his spinal column.

The man was described as 6-feet, 190-pounds, wearing brown corduroy trousers and a white T-shirt. He had a 12-inch surgery scar on his chest.

About 20 people were in the pawnshop at the time.

• Wow! 1

26 minutes ago, C.Shoemaker said:

A bit more. Note the date in bold red.

Reznik, Morris
Morris Reznik, 89, long-time resident of Phoenix, AZ and retired owner of the Jewel Box Pawnshop, passed away peacefully on Sunday, March 21, 2010. "Morrey" as he was known, came to Phoenix in 1948 from Detroit, Michigan after serving in the Army during World War II. Shortly after, he met his Honeylou and they were married for 61 years. The Jewel Box opened in May 1949 at 41 South First Ave. It grew with the city, later making way for Patriot's Park. In 1976, the business moved to 601 North Central where it remained until the doors closed in May 2006. The Jewel Box was well known in the valley where Morrey made many wonderful friends over the years, and became known as the "Pawnfather." His sense of humor and wit will long be remembered. Morrey is survived by his devoted wife, Honeylou, his son Steve and wife Sharon Marie, daughters Randi (Dean Corely) Adrian and Sharon Lee, five grandchildren Jessica, Sarah, Benjamin, Jonathan and Nicholas, as well as many wonderful nieces and nephews. In the past year he had been living at the Agape Home of Scottsdale with their loving, quality care. Heartfelt thanks to Daniela Geonkova, her son Ivaylo, and the wonderful staff at her home. Appreciation and gratitude also to caregivers Emily Wielemborek and Jennifer Wanderer for their dedicated care. Morrey was preceded in death by his parents Abe and Tillie Reznik, siblings Anne, Jack, Isadore, and Eileen. Services will be held at 2:30 pm on Wednesday, March 24th at Sinai Mortuary, 4538 N. 16th St. in Phoenix. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the Alzheimer's Association 1028 E. McDowell Rd., Phoenix, AZ 85006 or the JCC Endowment Fund, 12701 N. Scottsdale Rd., Scottsdale, AZ 85254. Arrangements by Sinai Mortuary.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2020 at 11:08 AM, Outdoor Writer said:

This call was given to me by Jack Cain, the original maker of Circe calls. I can't recall the exact year, but it was the late'60s, I think.

I've used it sparingly over the years to call in a few yotes, two bobcats and a black bear.  It sounds just as good and as loud now as it did when it was new. I've googled for hours and can't find a black one like this anywhere online. All I found was the original wood type and the green polymer ones. 

I will consider reasonable offers but no trades. Payment via PayPal (buyer doesn't need an acct; just a CC or checking acct.) or cash only. Picked up near 67th Ave. and Camelback or shipped at buyer's expense.

$50

circe2.thumb.jpg.e90d86179c0f7cd79c3a4b2334d7f2d0.jpg

Circe produced a call that was made of black plastic and called the "trophy".  Had two of them (not any more).  The trophy model had a barrel that was an inch or two longer than the regular call.  All things being equal, the call produced a lot of volume, it was marketed for bear & lion thus the name "trophy".  The call in your photo appears to be regular length, likely a rare call color wise.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Swivelhead said:

Circe produced a call that was made of black plastic and called the "trophy".  Had two of them (not any more).  The trophy model had a barrel that was an inch or two longer than the regular call.  All things being equal, the call produced a lot of volume, it was marketed for bear & lion thus the name "trophy".  The call in your photo appears to be regular length, likely a rare call color wise.

Yup, found at least one like you describe but none like mine. 

Thank you for the input. 👍

10 minutes ago, Swivelhead said:

One other thing:

I think mine is plastic, but it's hard to tell, and I don't want to scratch into it to find out. 

G42d.thumb.JPG.2ba949264b15d50cb749d90a42e4b77a.JPG

My dad had a couple of these, I can still remember the taste of em.

And I remember feeling pretty low pawning a JVC dual cassette player at the Jewel Box, must have been 1981. I was an E-2 in the service and flat butt broke. I vowed never again.

18 minutes ago, Edge said:

My dad had a couple of these, I can still remember the taste of em.

And I remember feeling pretty low pawning a JVC dual cassette player at the Jewel Box, must have been 1981. I was an E-2 in the service and flat butt broke. I vowed never again.

Found many of those types, with some for sale on eBay. Another thing I'm finding is how the label is attached. Most are in the spiral like yours, but mine is vertical along the barrel. 

The JB got to sell no fewer than 8 of my rifles in the late 60s. The only one I kept was my M70 264, which I still own 50 years later., albeit somewhat rejuvenated.

I14056.jpg

• Like 1