n2horns

San Tan Valley Combs school

1 hour ago, n2horns said:

All things things you all are saying are not exposed outside media.  Look at my angle and bias, I just thought it was the way I put in the above post, but dang, sure am wrong, and not afraid to admit it.

The things you all as teachers do, goes oh so very unnoticed.  

The media does some great stories on educators, the problem is alot of people don't watch those stories because they think we are a bunch of cry baby liberals. I have seen many people on this site post such opinions.......As is sit here at 7:30pm watching mandated safety videos. I am thankful that a few guys on here have already spoke up and that many of us continue to do our job for the sake of helping students; not because we can't do something else, but because we all chose to get into education for a common goal. This is my 26th year in education. Before this career, I worked for the Game and Fish Department and made $3.25 an hour in the Biology department. My 1st teaching contract was also $19,000 per year, about what I would have made as a full time Biologist for the Game and Fish. Yes, I chose to get into teaching for the benefits and for my love of science. I could teach, coach and be with my own kids when they were out of school - family time is crucial. 

Now, I am the head counselor at a high school and have my masters degree. I finally make a decent salary. I no longer coach, but instead many of my after school hours are dedicated to school improvements, building the master schedule, writing letters of rec, talking to parents, talking to kids off the edge of suicide, filing abuse cases with DES, keeping kids eligible to play ball, and the list goes on....... 

Very few teachers took this summer off. Teachers, counselors and administrators worked hard all summer in order to get ready for online schooling. I worked every day this summer and did not get paid. I am not complaining and I take great pride in making sure students at my school have every opportunity to be happy and successful. No one was prepared for this, but everyone is doing their best.  Teachers did not go to college and become educators to sit in front of a computer all day and try to teach chemistry.  The lack of social interaction is affecting both students and educators. Every educator I know would rather see a classroom full of students right now. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Sam said:

The media does some great stories on educators, the problem is alot of people don't watch those stories because they think we are a bunch of cry baby liberals. I have seen many people on this site post such opinions.......As is sit here at 7:30pm watching mandated safety videos. I am thankful that a few guys on here have already spoke up and that many of us continue to do our job for the sake of helping students; not because we can't do something else, but because we all chose to get into education for a common goal. This is my 26th year in education. Before this career, I worked for the Game and Fish Department and made $3.25 an hour in the Biology department. My 1st teaching contract was also $19,000 per year, about what I would have made as a full time Biologist for the Game and Fish. Yes, I chose to get into teaching for the benefits and for my love of science. I could teach, coach and be with my own kids when they were out of school - family time is crucial. 

Now, I am the head counselor at a high school and have my masters degree. I finally make a decent salary. I no longer coach, but instead many of my after school hours are dedicated to school improvements, building the master schedule, writing letters of rec, talking to parents, talking to kids off the edge of suicide, filing abuse cases with DES, keeping kids eligible to play ball, and the list goes on....... 

Very few teachers took this summer off. Teachers, counselors and administrators worked hard all summer in order to get ready for online schooling. I worked every day this summer and did not get paid. I am not complaining and I take great pride in making sure students at my school have every opportunity to be happy and successful. No one was prepared for this, but everyone is doing their best.  Teachers did not go to college and become educators to sit in front of a computer all day and try to teach chemistry.  The lack of social interaction is affecting both students and educators. Every educator I know would rather see a classroom full of students right now. 

Well said, I really enjoyed having a schedule similar to my kids! Watched every football game, wrestling match, music recital, deer season, turkey season, elk, javelina and fishing trip! Wouldn’t trade any of it!

Teaching ain’t for everyone and Lord knows it ain’t easy but it definitely has its rewards!

• Like 2

My daughter is almost of age to go to public school, and I’m guilty of buying into all the stereotypes that gets regurgitated about teachers, but hearing some of you guys talk about your passion in education has given me a new perspective. Thank you guys for trying to teach the next generation of adults. 👍

• Like 2

I agree with what you teachers above said. I’ve had a few good teachers thru out my school years. But just like anything the few bad apples ruin it for the rest of the people. I myself chose a different job then teaching or working for the game and fish because of the low pay. You spend all that money on a bachelors and masters degree to make under 30,000 dollars. Plus have to get post certified for game and fish. So you’ve got to be doing it cause you like it, because the money is not there. Arizona has one of the lowest salaries for teachers in the country.

On 8/24/2020 at 6:24 PM, Flatlander said:

Your ignorance is showing. Teachers don’t get half the year off. All those things you just named are the same stupid things that every company has employees complaining about.

They are professionals who deserve to be treated like professionals instead of as personal babysitters. I for one sure as heck wouldn’t want to go into a room full of 30 nose-picking booger flingers whose parents are sick of having to spend time with them.

Flatlands, could you clean out your PMs enough to receive a message? (Not on this topic)  🙂

17 minutes ago, 1uglydude said:

Flatlands, could you clean out your PMs enough to receive a message? (Not on this topic)  🙂

Done