wildwoody

Fires every where..

5 hours ago, Jlreff said:

Blame your federal government. Haven’t done proper fire management for years. Go check out the wallow fire in the white mountains. Just waiting to burn again with all the fuel present.

5 hours ago, Big or Bust said:

Those are contributing factors but forest management across the west is the true culprit. 

5 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

I dont know enough to voice an opinion on that.  What do you think is being done wrong? Asking not arguing. 

Seemed like every time I was on the bab there were controlled burns being done all around Jacob lake. didn't seem to slow the magnum down but I dont know.  

Its kinda a yes and no about Forrest management. short of clear cutting and paving everything there is really nothing to be done.

prescribed burns help in the flat and level forrest it doesnt help in the canyons cause they cant get to them.  Kevin brought up Kaibab which is a good example. Back in the 80s  they did tons of logging. they also did alot raking up the deadfall so to speak in the big springs and jacobs lake area specifically. The deadfall was made kinda in pyramid shapes but mainly to help the turkey population if I recall. There was a logging operation right on top of the hill just after you past big springs going south.

They took out lots of deadfall where they did there selective logging, the area was mainly pines with very little shrubs and brush. other places around the kaibab they did the same thing, usually in the tall pine areas were they were selective logging., in the canyons that surround that part of big springs its solid brush a few pine tree, brush was like 2-5 foot high.. you cant clear that area out do to the rough terrain and if you did you would have huge erosion issues.

those canyons are just fire starters waiting to happen, however you can really do anything to them because of the terrain and if you did they would grow back after the next rain fall.

Fires are the best thing for the forest yeah no one likes to see it but its natures way of cleaning house.

but the main reason why everyone talking about poor forest management is due to the fact that the tree huggers banned logging and pretty much everything done to the forest back in the 80s and 90's, but those where WET years and we had less people in them. Now we are into dry years(but still lots of lightning) with tons of people and well fires happen.

• Like 5

I talked to a friend in Kingman this morning and he said there is a lightning caused fire in the mountains there.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jlreff said:

Blame your federal government. Haven’t done proper fire management for years. Go check out the wallow fire in the white mountains. Just waiting to burn again with all the fuel present.

Plenty of blame to go around. Every time the FS tries to thin the forest ( logging. thinning, proscribe burn, anything) the tree huggers file law suite. Campers can't enjoy the forest

without setting it on fire. Environmentalist  faint at the thought of forest management. heck lets just blame it all on Trump and it will be all right.

• Like 1

Need more grazing on public lands.  Keep it mowed.  Ft Apache and San Carlos tribes have fires but they always seem to get control of them quickly.  Plenty of game on tribal lands.  Tribes graze their lands regularly, I see it as a win/win.   USFS might consider have a conversation with them.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Spudrock fire in the rincons was extra smoky tonight. Hope it’s just the winds and not the fire growing.

that area needs a good burn. they said they are using it as controlled burn.

35 minutes ago, AZLance said:

that area needs a good burn. they said they are using it as controlled burn.

It’s definitely thick in there. I read that it’s burning mostly undergrowth which is good. If it gets out of hand and burns down the mountain into the manzanita I’m not sure it’ll be controllable.

I finally got drenched at my place here in South Scottsdale last night.    Radar showed quite a lot of rain throughout the Central Valley.   Was hoping some of those fires got wet too.  :(