biglakejake

saltwater braid questions

what are you winding for the Cortez and offshore?  i'm thinking 50, 65, 80, and 135#?  looks like i'm going with izorline but are there differences?  absolute braid newbie here.

lee

Izorline "Brutally Strong" Spectra

"Space Age" fiber fishing line from Izorline - The originators of Spectra fiber fishing line!!!

1/3 The diameter of the same test Dacron or Monofilament

SEE OUR NEW SIZES!

• 40lb Green
  • 60lb Hollow
  • 100lb Natural
  • 100lb Green
  • 100lb Hollow
LBS TEST COLOR 50 100 200 300 500 750 1,000 1,500 2,500
12 GREEN/NATURAL   X X X X     X X
20 GREEN/NATURAL   X   X X   X X X
30 GREEN/NATURAL   X X X X   X X X
SPCL 30 GREEN   X   X X   X   X
40 GREEN   X   X X   X X X
50 GREEN/NATURAL   X X X X   X X X
60 HOLLOW NATURAL X X   X X   X X X
65 GREEN/NATURAL   X X X X   X X X
80 GREEN/NATURAL   X X X X X X X X
80 HOLLOW NATURAL X X   X X X X X X
100 GREEN/NATURAL   X X X X X X X  
100 HOLLOW NATURAL X X   X X X X X  
135 HOLLOW GREEN/NATURAL X X   X X X X X X
200 HOLLOW NATURAL X X     X X X X  
300 HOLLOW* NATURAL         X   X    

This is what I took with me. The 30lbs did great with some fighty yellowtail and let the sardines swim far far away.

had no bites in the 80lbs set-up but it looked real nice :)

I took pics of it before I left in case I needed to know to stay away or reorder. I do recommend the Pline as the mono.. bird nesting was basically eliminated even with me setting up the reel the night before the trip.

have fun!

AA72CC9E-0140-4EDE-B822-F2F1E820F266.jpeg

9524F5E0-1E10-48D2-8AF0-1A28CAE57FBF.jpeg

• Like 2

For flylining a lighter set up I would recommend white or another bright color that will help you see your line. My 25/30# rig has 40# White Power Pro and I switch a short leader depending on the bite. For a heavier rig for deep dropping with a jig or sinker rig, I would maybe look into that line counter stuff. Most of the time I had very little idea how deep I was other than looking at the rings on the inside of the spool as a general reference. The bigger fish I got last time was on 80# White Power Pro with Blue Seaguar 60# fluoro for leader. I used a pretty short topshot on that one. Maybe only a few feet of fluoro, like 3 or 4' max. I would recommend a good bit longer. Maybe 25 yards or so. Especially if you are not casting that rig much. If you use some mono as a topshot in between, fluoro can be much shorter. More than one way to skin that cat, for sure.

• Like 2

If you are chucking jigs 80# spectra with 50# mono top shot should work...maybe go bigger at Guadalupe or Alijos...if you have a week to fish;) 

It’s tough for flyline baits to tow heavy mono tho, I would go with 50# braid and 30# test with a rod that can lift and load at 8-10# of drag and a two speed to winch any fiesty YT that try to go deep and break you off on the rocky bottom. 

I run PowerPro braid with no complaints but I am far from a pro, lucky to fish 7-10 days a year. I like to run braid to mono for stretch to flouro. Avoid the green braid if you can, It is very difficult to see at dawn and late in the day.

• Like 2

On 8/20/2020 at 2:05 PM, biglakejake said:

so you wound co-polymer w a fluoro topshot?  no braid?

lee

Yes, no braid. I wanted to reduce the number of knots that could fail, but also didn’t want my braid to cut anyone else mono.

Well I use the toro tamer hollow core line at Charkbait.   I purchased the needles with it too for all sizes.  

The basic concept is the lighter the line the longer the fluoro topshot I will use.    Like the 20# reels I'll use maybe 75-100 yard topshot and then on the 80# reels I might only use 10-15 yards of topshot.    I like the concept of putting the topshot into the braid line.   Eliminates the knot and works really, really well.   I use the same system on every reel.    It also goes in and out really nice unlike some of the knots.   

One exception is my spinning reel.   I will typically run a shorter topshot because the braid casts better than a 40-60# mono/fluoro.