Sign in to follow this  
Native Arizonan

WTS custom deer rifle and accessories $500

I have a Ruger M77 that was fitted with a custom barrel and other upgrades by David Van Horn. It is a 25 Van Horn Express, a 264 Win Mag necked down to 25 caliber with an improved shoulder. I had this gun built back in 2007 and have taken several deer and one antelope with it, out to 500 yards. At just over 9 pounds I can no longer lug this thing around and bought a Kimber Hunter which comes in about 5.5 pounds. Everything in the attached pictures is included in this price. Reloading dies, a bag of 50 unopened brass, 200 rounds of used brass, primers and bullets and about 15 loaded rounds, Also a pound of IMR 7828 powder.

It probably has around six to seven hundred rounds down the tube. Between fire forming and working up loads most of that has been at the range. I have always been careful to let the barrel cool down between shots so as not to burn out the barrel. I believe this gun still has a lot of life left.

IMG_20200821_182620875.jpg

IMG_20200821_183516192.jpg

IMG_20200821_185329586.jpg

IMG_20200821_185502125.jpg

IMG_20200821_185626819.jpg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Outdoor Writer said:

What cases do you use for fire-forming, 264s??

I don't think he understood the question Tony. With that said I would think he used 264.

1 hour ago, PRDATR said:

I don't think he understood the question Tony. With that said I would think he used 264.

You guys look at the pictures in the ad?  It shows a bag of new .264Win Mag brass.

• Like 1

And if Tony's wanting to know what case you can use to form to 264 wm when it's hard to find I believe you can use 7mag. Wouldn't this caliber basically be a 257wm and use the same data?

11 hours ago, Nitemann said:

And if Tony's wanting to know what case you can use to form to 264 wm when it's hard to find I believe you can use 7mag. Wouldn't this caliber basically be a 257wm and use the same data?

I've owned and used a M70 .264 since 1965. The case is a product of the 300 H&H, as is the 7mm mag. and the .257 Weatherby mag. 

I guess I'm probably a bit confused about the fire forming process since I've never done it. I always understood that to mean actually firing the round in a chamber to form a new case. So my confusion comes about understanding how .264 brass can be loaded in a chamber with a neck size of .25 cal. The only thing I can figure is the cases are actually being reformed in a sizing die first maybe. 

P.S. I saw the bag of brass but thought it didn't look very new.. 

You resize 264 brass in the die. Load it and shoot it. Now you have formed brass. 

257 weatherby date should work, but start low. 264 brass or 7mm brass should work. The 257 weatherby has a little more case capacity than 264 so max will probably be below a 257. 

I made all my 257 weatherby brass for my last barrel out of 264 and 7mm brass. It works fine. The case neck just ends up a little short. 

Try H1000 with 115gr bullets. My old load was 67-69 gr for different 115-120gr bullets. Start low and work up.

You also want to fireform with a reduced load and check overall case length as sizing down the neck causes the case to grow so trimming may be needed.

If this rifle has 700 down the tube though I would not be trying new loads if it comes with one it shoots well and it will fit your needs. Best case that barrel has about 500 rounds left in it. 

Mine was probably 1000ish rounds when it went away. I know better know and have slowed my fire rate at the bench to help the throat, but that is alot of powder and a little hole. 

The rifle was rebarreled to 257 weatherby again and I am using a chamber cooler between shots and strings to help cool the throat.