Sign in to follow this  
Outdoor Writer

Another Darwin Candidate

25 minutes ago, elkaholic said:

Way before lil Joe's days.  Lol

Ole blk white  movies John Wayne did it. might have even been before that. 

I saw that old JW movie Friday. I'm certain people have been doing it for thousands of years.

Good way to crack your eggs.....

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

Here's another one...........

Saw that one on FB a while back. Don't mess with Dobbin. 🤣

When I was guiding in Colorado, I was saddling my horse at the trailhead and made the mistake of ducking under her head while she was tied to a hitching rail. She bit me right through a down vest and shirt,, and then I hit her in the forehead with my fist. The bite left a very large, nasty bruise that turned all sorts of colors and hurt like he!!, and the punch broke my little finger. It was the last time I did either. 

32 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Saw that one on FB a while back. Don't mess with Dobbin. 🤣

When I was guiding in Colorado, I was saddling my horse at the trailhead and made the mistake of ducking under her head while she was tied to a hitching rail. She bit me right through a down vest and shirt,, and then I hit her in the forehead with my fist. The bite left a very large, nasty bruise that turned all sorts of colors and hurt like he!!, and the punch broke my little finger. It was the last time I did either. 

Brings back a memory of kicking an old Angus cow I was milking as a kid......she kicked the bucket, I kicked her and what a bad idea.......that hurt like heal!!!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Horses are assholes.

Some are, few.

It's all in the training and desensitization. Like any animal low on the food chain, they're wired to fight or fly when pressured.  Predators would approach much like that drunk did. He's the asshole in the vid.

• Like 2

Having experienced a broad spectrum of both human and animal...........I have enjoyed working with very user friendly mules/horses/dogs and some that I wouldn't even mess with!

Very enjoyable to have good animals! Requires time and consistent training, most people don't realize that when your dog doesn't run up and jump on people they got trained to be that way, it didn't just happen over night! 

When you have a mule that will stand while you throw a buck on its back and an antler pokes him in the side it didn't just happen over night, lots of time spent working with that animal to get it to stand still and not be bothered!

One of my very first mule experiences happened in the Gila Wilderness as a kid, watching a mule run full speed ahead, bucking and wrecking every single supply that was on his back as he raced through the forest! 

We had borrowed the mule under the premise that he was pack worthy and well trained.......but we learned different! That happened on day one of a 7 day venture! Remaining eggs got rationed, and we ate fish we caught instead of the grand meals we had planned! I'm not putting all the blame on the mule.......we shoulda done a better job of packing things so they couldn't get so busted up....we were very rookie!!! :) 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

We had borrowed the mule under the premise that he was pack worthy and well trained.......but we learned different! That happened on day one of a 7 day venture! Remaining eggs got rationed, and we ate fish we caught instead of the grand meals we had planned! I'm not putting all the blame on the mule.......we shoulda done a better job of packing things so they couldn't get so busted up....we were very rookie!!! :) 

Speaking of mules...here's a snipit from something I had posted on FB a while back........

"This involves the hunt with Harvey Hickman, Bill Jenkins and Don Wheat mentioned in my other messages.

With horses and mules borrowed from Dobbin Shupe, Harvey Hickman and I were tasked with hauling all the major camp gear, setting it up and cutting enough firewood to last us a week. So at the Vallecito trailhead, we packed a slew of horses. I think we wound up with about six pack horses each. So off we went up the Vallecito trail with Harvey in the lead and me following. We got as far as the cliffs where the trail quickly drops off to the river on the right side. That's when disaster struck.

The second horse in my string was hauling our heavy 16'X20' wall tent, and she rubbed up against the cliffs, causing the tent to slide down on the river side. The horse toppled off the trail and landed on a small rock shelf. Its butt was sitting on the rock while its front legs were draped over a dead tree that was lying there. The tent was under the horse's belly.

Fortunately, the horse was smart enough to stay put or else just too damned scared to move. The lead rope from the first horse in the string had pulled loose, but the one from the third horse was still attached and nearly taut as that horse struggled to stay on the trail and not follow its stable mate down the cliff. As I jumped off my horse and tied it to a small tree (the only one in sight!), I yelled at Harvey, grabbed my knife and cut the lead rope.

Harvey had to ride about 50 yards before he found a safe place to tie up his pack string. He then came back and took the rest my string to a safe area. All this time, the scared horse remained still. Now our mission was to figure out a way to get both the tent and horse salvaged without sending either 100 ft. down into the river. Obviously one of us had to go down there to get it done. I decided Harvey should be the dumb one. LOL

We tied a rope around the single tree on the trail, and Harvey took the other end with him and lashed it around the tent before undoing the pack lashing so we could tug the tent back up to the trail. All this time, the scared horse remained still, not realizing her turn was coming up. Once we got the tent retrieved, we plotted our next move.

Again, the dumb one climbed down and tied the rope around the horse's neck, I held it taut and wrapped around the tree. The horse was almost facing into the cliff, so at first we tried to simply pull on the rope and hope the horse would jump its way back up to the trail. Nope. Even with the tugging, all this time, the scared horse remained still.

The dumb one decided to put Plan B into action. He decided to remove the horse's safety net by climbing back down and kicking the dead tree out from under the horse's front legs. Worked like a charm. The horse bolted upward and scrambled up the rock face back to the trail. We proceeded to repack the tent on it. All this time, the scared horse remained perfectly still.

Later that week, we headed back down to pack and haul some other gear, along with Wheat and Jenkins. Bill's wife had made us enough frozen goodies to fill two huge coolers. One had dozens of burritos in it. We packed them on a mule that came with an explicit warning to Harvey and me from Dobbin; Do not tie it to a small tree less than six inches around. So off we went to camp.

When we arrived, we began unhooking the pack string one by one. Unfortunately, Bill never got the warning memo. He grabbed the mule while we weren't paying attention and tied it to a tiny fir tree. He undid the pack lashing and a minute later all heck broke loose as the mule tore the tree out of the ground and headed back toward the trailhead with burritos and other edibles flying everywhere. Harvey finally caught up to it about three miles downstream from camp. On the way back, he salvaged what food he could."