firstcoueswas80

New pack recommendation?

I've upgraded almost all my hunting gear this year. The only thing I havent upgraded is my pack. 

I have the Outdoorsmans Optics pack and I really like it. I like the external frame, the dual flaps on the side, the gun carrier (could sit lower but not a huge deal), and the big bag.

Are there any packs out there that have similar features that aren't $800+?

I'll sell you a eberlestock dragonfly cheap! 

Same boat as you. I've had a Eberlestalk Just One for about 15 years now. Good pack but it seems  a bit big for my frame. I'd like to find one that feels like it actually fits me. I was looking at the Outdoorsmans you have. What don't you like about it?

11 minutes ago, OpticNerd said:

Same boat as you. I've had a Eberlestalk Just One for about 15 years now. Good pack but it seems  a bit big for my frame. I'd like to find one that feels like it actually fits me. I was looking at the Outdoorsmans you have. What don't you like about it?

The only things i don't like about it would be the gun scabbard... it sits super high. Also,  no meat shelf on the outside. 

Other than that,  I actually really like the pack. 

I’m in the same boat right now trying to figure out what pack to upgrade to. I’ve been looking hard at mystery ranch packs. Ill be following this one to see what others say. 

I've been using Kifaru packs for over 10 years now. Without a doubt their waist belts and suspension are some of the best in the business. That is where it really counts for a pack. If it doesn't fit your waist and torso correctly you are going to be uncomfortable with heavier weight. All their stuff is Made in USA so you can rest assured your money is well spent. Customer service is also very, very good if you ever need it. I honestly have not heard many warranty issues whatsoever. I'm sure they are out there but you just don't hear much about them. Seek Outside also seems to have some great products, as does Stone Glacier I'm sure but I have utmost confidence when recommending Kifaru.

I have a badlands original 2200. Like it a lot for the little packing I due. I myself have been looking at mystery ranch or badlands ox pack. But a little pricey for what little i do with my pack. I use a external frame pack to haul meat out. Similar to the camp trails freighter frame.

1 hour ago, Couescrazy33 said:

Just spend the money of the kifaru or SO packs. Find which ever one fits you best and it will last you a very long time.

This dude must have smart friends who hike a lot!

13 minutes ago, Heat said:

I've been using Kifaru packs for over 10 years now. Without a doubt their waist belts and suspension are some of the best in the business. That is where it really counts for a pack. If it doesn't fit your waist and torso correctly you are going to be uncomfortable with heavier weight. All their stuff is Made in USA so you can rest assured your money is well spent. Customer service is also very, very good if you ever need it. I honestly have not heard many warranty issues whatsoever. I'm sure they are out there but you just don't hear much about them. Seek Outside also seems to have some great products, as does Stone Glacier I'm sure but I have utmost confidence when recommending Kifaru.

Yes 

3 minutes ago, Jcubed said:

Yes 

Yes - Kifaru for the win....

Casey, I can stop by one day and you can take a peak if you wish. 

I've had the Outdoorsmans optic pack. I loved it other than it was a little on the heavy side empty and it squeaked really bad (i sold it before i broke it in). Frame was a little big for my torso I'm 5'5" medium build. For a big guy I'd for sure look at this pack closely. nice packs! 

I sold the Outdoorsmans and bought a Kuiu Icon Pro 7200. Been running it for several years and don't have any big complaints other than fabric and zippers could be a little more durable. But I've abused mine for the last 4 seasons and its still usable. Rides great if you balance weight, and can hold more gear and meat than you can carry. I actually just picked up a slightly used  5200 on this website, I'll run it this year. (you can find good deals)!  

I've had (have) an Eblerstock pack. It's OK....... not really in the high-end category in my opinion. If you do one or two hunts a year they will work. But if you go hauling heavy loads for more than a few consecutive days you're going to want something a little more substantial with a stiffer frame. 

Can't speak for Kifaru, never owned one but they look rugged....not sure how they ride or  what the pocket configuration is like. 

I'm wondering when Marsupial is going to come out with a pack......... they pretty much nailed it with the bino harness!