firstcoueswas80

New pack recommendation?

24 minutes ago, phillyphan said:

So the frame is useless without the pack right?  There's no meat shelf on the frame itself?  And the pack needs the frame in order to carry it?  I liked the Badlands Ox or Vario, but now you all have me thinking twice.

The frame is still usefull if you want to lash things to it on the outside with paracord or your own straps. Packbags just make carrying and organizing things much easier. It also gives you the option to have more than one rig to attach to the back. For example I always have my top lid on my frame but I can also easily remove it. I can also utilize a grab it (small bucket) or cargo panel (heavy duty large sling with strap kit). I can also add stuff sacks with gear or duffels or whatever and pack a ton of stuff. Cargo panel is great for treestands, blinds, salt blocks, and other odd stuff that wont fit in a bag. Grab it is good for jackets, carrying bow, quarters, stuff sacks, basically lighter more manageable stuff.

4 minutes ago, Heat said:

The frame is still usefull if you want to lash things to it on the outside with paracord or your own straps. Packbags just make carrying and organizing things much easier. It also gives you the option to have more than one rig to attach to the back. For example I always have my top lid on my frame but I can also easily remove it. I can also utilize a grab it (small bucket) or cargo panel (heavy duty large sling with strap kit). I can also add stuff sacks with gear or duffels or whatever and pack a ton of stuff. Cargo panel is great for treestands, blinds, salt blocks, and other odd stuff that wont fit in a bag. Grab it is good for jackets, carrying bow, quarters, stuff sacks, basically lighter more manageable stuff.

Thanks for the input.  Now I'm looking at the Mystery Ranch packs lol.  Just found out I get a nice discount if I go through them.  So many freaking packs to choose from.  First you have to decide what brand you want to go with.  Then once you think you're getting somewhere you find out each brand has 20 different models lol.  It's fun going through it all though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Does kifaru have a blow out sale once a year like badlands does?

Nope

I have a kuiu 7000 ultra that I use for bigger trips.   It does great at carrying weight and a bunch of stuff.   It packs down to nothing and for the most part it is the only pack I use if I need to carry any amount of gear or animals.    No need for a smaller bag.  

The only exception is chasing elk in September.    I have a really, really small pack that has a water bladder.    I can carry a tag, ID, spare release.   Nothing else matters because you are going to go back to camp to get help if you tip one over and then you can get all your kill bag stuff at that time.   The goal is to stay very, very light so you can move as fast as possible.  

I tried on a Stone Glacier at the sheep show in January.    I am considering that pack too.    It fit me like a glove with about 40#'s of weight in it and it felt great.  

• Like 1

Couple thoughts on Kifaru bags.

1.  Very versatile.

2.  Bombproof

3.  IMHO the best belt in the industry...the belt is essentail for carrying weight "comfortably."

I use it as a day pack all the time...then when a friend or myself kills, first trip is all of a deer plus camp or a couple elk quarters plus all my day gear plus water and room leftover.

Apologies for the late reaponse as I dont visit this site as often as I used to. 

I will keep chicking back on this thread or pm me...

ETA. There is a reason one rarely finds a used Kifaru pack for sale :)

3 minutes ago, phillyphan said:

So you can get a frame and pack from Kifaru for $700 or a brand new MR Pintler for around $300.  Which one do you pick? 

I see them for $450 where are they $300 

6 minutes ago, phillyphan said:

So you can get a frame and pack from Kifaru for $700 or a brand new MR Pintler for around $300.  Which one do you pick? 

I think at those prices your comparing a full Kifaru set up and a Mr frame

1 hour ago, Jcubed said:

Couple thoughts on Kifaru bags.

1.  Very versatile.

2.  Bombproof

3.  IMHO the best belt in the industry...the belt is essentail for carrying weight "comfortably."

I use it as a day pack all the time...then when a friend or myself kills, first trip is all of a deer plus camp or a couple elk quarters plus all my day gear plus water and room leftover.

Apologies for the late reaponse as I dont visit this site as often as I used to. 

I will keep chicking back on this thread or pm me...

ETA. There is a reason one rarely finds a used Kifaru pack for sale :)

Amen .

4 minutes ago, oz31p said:

I think at those prices your comparing a full Kifaru set up and a Mr frame

I'm guessing the Pintler(with frame) would be the pick then?

Just now, phillyphan said:

I'm guessing the Pintler(with frame) would be the pick then?

Not for me. But you can buy what suits you

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, phillyphan said:

Kifaru all the way.  You will not wear out the pack.  Easy.

For me the benefits are too great and it is that old adage of buy once, cry once.

On 8/30/2020 at 4:46 PM, phillyphan said:

The only think about that is the warranty would cover all that.  I guess that part doesn't matter if it fails on you out in the field, but that warranty is what draws me to them.  Lifetime no questions asked and transferrable.  I was looking at Kuiu and Kifaru, but their warranty isn't as good.  Too many packs to choose from lol.

On average, lifetime warranty products are even lower quality than their price point as their lifetime warranty is factored into the cost. And you'll be using the warranty.  It's great marketing however.

Warranties are great until your crap keeps breaking when you're in the field.  It can be a hunt deal breaker...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Big or Bust said:

On average, lifetime warranty products are even lower quality than their price point as their lifetime warranty is factored into the cost. And you'll be using the warranty.  It's great marketing however.

Warranties are great until your crap keeps breaking when you're in the field. 

Amen.  Some things I do, I dont want to worry about a pack tearing or breaking.  I do not worry about this with my pack.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Big or Bust said:

Warranties are great until your crap keeps breaking when you're in the field.  It can be a hunt deal breaker...

Yeah this thread is definitely teaching me that.