firstcoueswas80

New pack recommendation?

1 hour ago, phillyphan said:

He spots, we kill.  

Dude seriously check out that link. Exactly the same pack but its not their "hunting" line, its "mountaineering" you do realize when they put the word "hunting" they just add $150 right?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, eddielasvegas said:

As points of reference, Jill St. John is 80 and Sophia Loren is 85.

I'll speak for my friend and say yes, yes, a thousand times yes.  😁 

Well, my lovely bride of almost 60 years is 78, and I would still pick her over many of the younger "lookers" around with sticks through their noses and lips, etc. 😎

13 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

It’s all good. I found out that I like doing whatever I feel like all the time. 

You just need to train them right. I started with mine early. Two days after our wedding she had to go back to work. I went deer hunting in the Adirondacks. And that the way it's been over nearly six decades. I have NEVER let cutting the lawn or other chores stop from doing something. That all said, my wife also has always had her space when she wants it.... unless it conflicted with mine, of course. 🤣

1 minute ago, Outdoor Writer said:

You just need to train them right. I started with mine early. Two days after our wedding she had to go back to work. I went deer hunting in the Adirondacks. And that the way it's been over nearly six decades. I have NEVER let cutting the lawn or other chores stop from doing something. That all said, my wife also has always had her space when she wants it.... unless it conflicted with mine, of course. 🤣

i dig it. 

13 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Well?????! Where’s the pics!

This is about as close as I can come. I  do have a shot of her in her bikini taking off in a parachute ride in Mexico, but it's on a computer that went belly-up last week. So until I get the stuff off the HD, this will have to do. 

ELLEN5.jpg.b4dd9a90272cfac2adcd6895c330d942.jpg

• Like 5

I'm curious if you guys that are concerned about price have considered Kifaru's offerings that are not separate pieces? They have quite a few packs that come as internal frame. The only drawback to that I can see is no meat shelf. Not sure that is a feature that is really worth $250-$300. Until about 10 years ago nobody had a meat shelf on their pack. For example the Kuttthroat is under 4 Lbs, is about 4K Cubic Inches, has 26 inch stays and the same belt and shoulder straps as a duplex for $425 (sold out of course). That's a similar or even better pack than my Late Season for a better price. Minikeg, 14er, 357 mag are also really nice packs without having to spend the money on a Duplex and separate bag. You can also save some by not getting camo. I think the green with the brown straps looks really cool on their packs.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

MR terra frame is $229 at sierra trading post right now. Its basically a Pintler renamed.   Still only 5 pounds and has the meat shelf. Im getting one for my birthday. Cant justify the $600 for a Kifaru right now.  Its still better then what im rocking right now.  

Kifaru is overrated and many of the designs are half-baked in my opinion. They also admittedly aren't fans of the meat shelves and it's very apparent when you are putting their system into use. You'll end up fishing through the hardware section of Ace Hardware to Frankenstein a functional system. I think MR is the best pack out there for the money. 

13 minutes ago, Heat said:

I'm curious if you guys that are concerned about price have considered Kifaru's offerings that are not separate pieces? They have quite a few packs that come as internal frame. The only drawback to that I can see is no meat shelf. Not sure that is a feature that is really worth $250-$300. Until about 10 years ago nobody had a meat shelf on their pack. For example the Kuttthroat is under 4 Lbs, is about 4K Cubic Inches, has 26 inch stays and the same belt and shoulder straps as a duplex for $425 (sold out of course). That's a similar or even better pack than my Late Season for a better price. Minikeg, 14er, 357 mag are also really nice packs without having to spend the money on a Duplex and separate bag. You can also save some by not getting camo. I think the green with the brown straps looks really cool on their packs.

The brandy new Kifaru Spike Camp I have for sale for $250 here is a super pack. Only issue is the interior size at 2300 CI for someone that wants to pack a camp for several days out. The cargo shelf on the SC will hold quite a bit, however, including another smaller type of pack bag.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

The brandy new Kifaru Spike Camp I have for sale for $250 here is a super pack. Only issue is the interior size at 2300 CI for someone that wants to pack a camp for several days out. The cargo shelf on the SC will hold quite a bit, however, including another smaller type of pack bag.

That's a great pack at an outstanding price! I'm kinda surprised it hasn't sold yet. Those generation 1 Kifaru packs are really solid pieces of gear. Simple but effective. Less is more kinda thing. The Cargo Chair on top of that is a great bonus!

You are correct about the cargo chair as a shelf. I bought an Express which was the same pack as spike camp but from the military line and had a cargo chair as well. Packed my pronghorn buck out whole, field dressed about 1/4 mile using the Cargo Chair. About died, but I did it. I sold it and upgraded to a Late Season when Kifaru did their second generation packs. Got quite a bit of my money back selling it on Rokslide.

Kifaru Express and Cargo Chair in use packing my buddies ram's head off the mountain in 2010.

packing ram head.jpg

• Like 1

Well active juny has 5% off on sierra trading post and free shipping with code SHIP89

Someday I'll get a Kifaru  but this will have to do for now.  Just pulled the trigger on the MR terraframe 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Well active juny has 5% off on sierra trading post and free shipping with code SHIP89

Someday I'll get a Kifaru  but this will have to do for now.  Just pulled the trigger on the MR terraframe 

Nice! I'm sold on MR as well.  I'm getting the Terra 65 or 80 haven't decided yet but leaning towards the 65. Kifaru is tempting but I'm too cheap. Plus isn't there some kind of rule or something that says your pack can't cost more than your binos. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Great deal, no doubt about it!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OpticNerd said:

Nice! I'm sold on MR as well.  I'm getting the Terra 65 or 80 haven't decided yet but leaning towards the 65. Kifaru is tempting but I'm too cheap. Plus isn't there some kind of rule or something that says your pack can't cost more than your binos. 

Enjoy the pack!

You too Catfish!

• Like 2