Sign in to follow this  
My Rights As An American

Enclosing a carport

Thinking about enclosing my carport. I need space. I live in Mesa and know I need a permit. Standard two car garage. Wanting an automatic garage door. Two sides are currently enclosed by the house. Wanting to do the work myself instead of hiring a contractor. Neighbor had theirs done for over $10,000 and contractor sucked. Anybody do this themselves recently or know of a rough cost to do this? Tips? Tricks of the trade? Thanks.

Would entertain a coueswhitetail.com party of workers in exchange for homemade grilled brats and beer! 😀😀😀

I've done one as a contractor.  And my own.  Assuming 3 walls and do you already have 5/8s drywall on the existing lid?  Rock will have to be finished to your local code but firetape is usually allowed with 5/8 rock.  All framing lumber and rock less then a grand and you can probably have a garage door guy sell you the door and install it cheaper then you can get it at home depot.  Probably $1‐1.5k installed with opener depending on windows and insulation. So door and materials probably 2-3k.  Also if you wanna add windows decent window cost $150 ish.  

Think i charged like $5k when i did it as a contractor.  Only 2 walls with a couple little extras added to the job.  Up to 10k would still ne within reason though.  Feel free to hit me up. 

7 minutes ago, 5guyshunting said:

If you are going with a permit you will need to cut the slab for footings. I can help with that.

How does that work? All the way around or corners or what? I didnt have to do that down here in podunk. But same house years later when adding a back porch city wanted 2x2x2 rebar footer under the slab at each post.  

Brian,

Are you going to pour on top of the slab to bring it up to the same level as the inside of the house?

1 hour ago, My Rights As An American said:

Was not planning on that but do not have any plans yet. Is that required?

Not but let me ask you this. Are you going to take out part of the wall so you can walk from the house into the new area? If so you won't want to be stepping down going into it or stepping up coming back into the house.

It sounds like you already have access to the home from the carport.  So you are wanting to add the outside wall and the overhead garage door.  I am a home inspector and see this a lot in certain parts of the valley.  Like Catfishkev has mentioned it will need to meet the current fire code which includes 5/8" drywall on the ceiling and any common walls that are not block.  That includes the attic hatch if it is in carport.  And the fire rated self-closing passthrough door.  I see all kinds of crazy stuff during inspections.  As for the step I would want it.  My house is only 3 years old and has a step.  If I happen to flood my garage I don't want that water coming back into the home.