ritchruss

Saint Johns Az hunting

Wanting to get more information on hunting in and near saint johns Az, spend most my time in Yuma and looking at buying property in saint johns to escape the heat certain times of the year. Wondering if I could call it “home” for hunting and over night backpacking trips or not. Any feedback is appreciated. Looking at hunting archery OTC. New to Az hunting. 

3 minutes ago, ritchruss said:

Wanting to get more information on hunting in and near saint johns Az, spend most my time in Yuma and looking at buying property in saint johns to escape the heat certain times of the year. Wondering if I could call it “home” for hunting and over night backpacking trips or not. Any feedback is appreciated. Looking at hunting archery OTC. New to Az hunting. 

There's some of the best hunting, fishing and hiking in the country just south of SJ.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ritchruss said:

How far south? Moved to Az earlier this year from Oregon so trying to get this great state figured out. Thanks!

St. Johns is less than 30 miles from Springerville. From there about everywhere south and west is prime country for an outdoors person.  Lots of national forest included. 

• Like 1

St Johns is a great little community. No street lights and very low stress. We currently have a total of 28 covid cases during the whole pandemic. Not much entertainment here though, you'll need to be happy by yourself. Buying a 40 acre parcel to have your little paradise is kind of a misnomer. 1st problem is water. Most of the ground water around the subdivision areas, it's salty and has sulphur. Nasty-

The area is 6000' elevation and tags are hard to draw. A hunting paradise, no- a great place to live, absolutely. I live here, if you need any detailed information message me.

• Like 1

You should be able to find land pretty easily.  Apache County is full of 40 acre places.  You should see it from the air.  In some places near Concho and St Johns it’s total sprawl. Some of those places are lived in by crazy people, some seem to collect junk cars and whatever scrap they can find, and some like to create their own custom No Trespassing signs with writing about how they’ll kill you. I’m sure before 1970 it was a pretty place.