AZLance

Unit 1 & 2 Bull Elk Deperdation Hunt

anyone know anything about this hunt? My buddy just got the tag and its any weapon and starts on Sept 4th.  Supposedly the elk are in agricultural fields and the private property owners want them gone. 

• Wow! 1

Check with PapaJohn on this site. He’s done this hunt a few times. Good guy. 

1 hour ago, AZLance said:

anyone know anything about this hunt? My buddy just got the tag and its any weapon and starts on Sept 4th.  Supposedly the elk are in agricultural fields and the private property owners want them gone. 

Sweet 

Sounds like a good opportunity...the property owners will probably help you locate them or at least know where they usually see them. 

The elk are eating in the fields at night and leave andl go into thick cover at the hint of first light.  Make sure that you get there first day before first light.  😷

My son and I were watching the huge cow herd up in Eagar a couple weeks ago and another truck pulled up and asked us "do you have the other tags?"  They explained that there were depredation hunts every week after June 1, 5 tags each week.  I had noticed all the elk were getting more and more skittish with time and the depredations hunts explained that.  All the elk had moved out of the bottom where the road crosses the Milligan Ditch over to the 26-Bar Ranch (Hopi/John Wayne Ranch) where there was obviously no hunting.  Those elk really learned fast as to where to hang out.  I suspect the success rate on these hunts is really low considering the spooky elk and the difficulty accommodating the 1/4 mile rule.  This last weekend, the huge herd but was with the ~200+ cows and calves.   

22 minutes ago, Big Tub said:

I suspect the success rate on these hunts is really low considering the spooky elk and the difficulty accommodating the 1/4 mile rule.  

Except when there is permission from the owner, no? 

• Like 1

Iv'e been lucky to have this hunt two times in the last 3yrs. First was an archery bull, the one I just finished 2 weeks ago was archery antlerless. Both times had chances but did not connect.

Was worth it just to get out of the heat of the valley! Call the game rangers - they will be very helpful and suggest areas. The first hunt there was not the 1/4 mile rule so hunted right in town in the pastures. This time had to try and ambush them just outside private land.

On 8/31/2020 at 9:42 AM, Outdoor Writer said:

Except when there is permission from the owner, no? 

Many of the areas have multiple houses within the 1/4 mile.  I would want permission on that 26Bar ranch!

• Like 1