Art20

Hunting 3C late hunt

This is my 1st hunt & it's the late bull elk end of November.  Been driving around, boots on the ground & havent seen much, yet, & was thinking of a hiring a guide for this one.  Anyone know of reputable guides they can recommend?  They're expensive but figured theres a better chance & learning experience on this 1st hunt. 

I usually hunt small game it's not as difficult from the big game.

Sorry about this, I have a tag in 3A as well which is where I live but thought 3C was a better choice.  Anyone in 3A?

Does anyone have contact info for these fellas mentioned?

Don’t the bulls move into that unit during the rut. Not surprising you didn’t see much if that’s the case.

also, don’t the bulls leave that unit after the rut? Would it be worth it to spend money on a guide in that unit for the late hunt? Does a guy have a chance at a good bull or is it mostly rags then? 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Don’t the bulls move into that unit during the rut. Not surprising you didn’t see much if that’s the case.

also, don’t the bulls leave that unit after the rut? Would it be worth it to spend money on a guide in that unit for the late hunt? Does a guy have a chance at a good bull or is it mostly rags then? 

Hunt the other side of the highway. I killed the bull in my avatar on a late season archery tag there.  

If you're on rim road before light that time of year it looks like a elk track meet to get to the other side of the fence. 

• Like 2

there is a cute little pickup running around town with a license plate that reads  '442BULL'.  that hunts on video and within 5 miles of show low city limits.  big grin.

lee  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, biglakejake said:

there is a cute little pickup running around town with a license plate that reads  '442BULL'.  hunts on video and within 5 miles of show low city limits.  big grin.

lee  

Clay Hewitt. I'm friends with his son, good story. 

2 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

I don't know, this is my first bull elk hunt.  That's why I'm needing the help.  Weren't about 300 tags issued for the late hunt?

On 8/31/2020 at 1:08 PM, Art20 said:

I don't know, this is my first bull elk hunt.  That's why I'm needing the help.  Weren't about 300 tags issued for the late hunt?

I think a guide would be a good idea for your first hunt.  Just tell the guide you want to be guided but also ask to learn everything you can while on the hunt. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

I think a guide would be a good idea for your first hunt.  Just tell the guide you want to be guided but also ask to learn everything you can while on the hunt. 

I found something online, Arizona Guided Hunts.  Anyone ever hear about them?  I spoke with the guy & said he has an expert with 3a & 3c and there's about a 70% chance of landing a bull elk - I was expecting better odds.  It's quite expensive but I figured it would be worth it, in the long run, if I plan on doing this in the future.

It is kinda interesting the way different people approach  hunting, I remember scouting 3A/3C from the day I knew we had tags.......spent a lot of time out there and just like everybody told me, they were not there come late hunt!

Knowing that, we planned multiple options knowing that their pattern would change! I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge of relocating bulls and putting a hunt on!

Were they record class bulls.......not really, but it was a heck of a fun hunt and I wouldn't really want it any other way!

Lots of solid information has been shared already on this thread!

Good luck with your tag................

• Like 1