Sign in to follow this  
CatfishKev

Legality of blocking easements

So as far as I know its not legal to block an easement. This particular road has a sign saying private drive or something if I remember and now since the fire only one house is on this street.  He took a sawhorse and blocked the road right at his house.  I'm gonna post on onx pic.  It shows the easement as not part of the private property and the other side of the road is national forest.

I was planning on glassing from the end of this spot and using it to park and climb a nearby knob.  What you guys think?

Easements are put in place for utilities or access other private property. That being said you have to see what type of easment it is. But in this situation I think they have the right to block you out.

• Like 2

Is the landowner blocking you from a USFS gate? If not you're probably s.o.l. 

No not blocking a gate and no to asking although I was thinking about it. Not a big deal really either way because there is parking close by. I was just curious.

If it’s not a marked FS road and not a FS gate involved they’re probably allowed to block it as private. How far is the walk if you parked and walked to where you want to glass?

Definitely just ask. Even if there was a FS gate he can tell you to go pound sand unless you are a forest service employee and the easement was set up Forest Service access which I doubt it would be. 

• Like 1

True easements are legal documents and recorded. Very specific on who is allowed usage. Usually limited to utilities and other landowners that need the easement to access their property.  
The easement can be gated and locked as long as all legal users have access.  

Pretty much just what Vowell said. 

• Like 1

I wonder if its a county maintained road if so I would go around it if possible.

if you post the GPS we can tell you for sure. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So much for secrecy.  Had two pms saying i missed on of the landowner names. 

Thanks for the answers. No biggie ill just park elsewhere