Squirrel n Dumplings

Hunting Access From Highways

5 minutes ago, Squirrel n Dumplings said:

Does anyone know what the rules are for vehicle/ hunting access from highways?   Say  I-17.  Is it legal to park off the shoulder and hike in?  

Is there a requirement for parking a set distance from the shoulder?

28-873. Stopping, standing or parking prohibitions; exceptions; definition

A. Except if necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic or if in compliance with law or the directions of a police officer or traffic control device, a person shall not stop, stand or park a vehicle in any of the following places:

1-14 NOT RELEVANT

15. On a controlled access highway except:

(a) For emergency reasons. 

(b) In areas specifically designated for parking such as rest areas.

B. A local authority may allow motor vehicles providing a public entity's public transportation service to stop on a state highway or state route for the purpose of allowing passengers to enter or exit if all of the following apply:

1. The local authority that has jurisdiction over the location of the proposed stopping point conducts a traffic and engineering investigation to determine whether passengers are able to safely enter or exit public transportation vehicles at the proposed stopping point.

2. The local authority that conducts the traffic and engineering investigation pursuant to paragraph 1 of this subsection submits the results of the investigation to the director for review and approval of the proposed stopping point.

3. The driver does not leave the vehicle.

4. The vehicle is stopped only long enough to load and unload passengers.

5. The vehicle engages four-way hazard flashers.

6. The roadway has a posted speed limit that does not exceed fifty-five miles per hour.

7. The roadway has signed or signalized intersection controls within a jurisdictionally confined boundary.

8. The vehicle is clearly marked as a public transportation vehicle.

9. As determined by the director in conjunction with the local authority, the driver drives the vehicle into a pullout or uses any other available method that limits the vehicle from interfering with traffic on the roadway.

C. For the purposes of this section, "public transportation vehicle" means any vehicle that either:

1. Is owned or operated by a public entity.

2. Is operated under a contract with a public entity.

I've returned to more than 1 big red sticker on my back window. Not sure if on their next pass it would have been towed or not... 

• Like 1

If you are hunting I-17 it can only be parked four hours.  After that it is subject to be towed. An interstate allows two hours in the city and four hours outside.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, bigj23 said:

If you are hunting I-17 it can only be parked four hours.  After that it is subject to be towed. An interstate allows two hours in the city and four hours outside.  

Is that written into law somewhere?

18 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Is that written into law somewhere?

Yes, 28-872C4/5

28-872. Removal of vehicles; notice; liability for costs; hearing

A. If a police officer finds a vehicle standing on a highway in violation of section 28-871 the officer may move the vehicle or require the driver or other person in charge of the vehicle to move the vehicle to a position off the paved or main traveled part of the highway.

B. A police officer may remove or cause to be removed to a place of safety an unattended vehicle that is illegally left standing on a highway, bridge or causeway or in a tunnel in a position or under circumstances that obstruct the normal movement of traffic.

C. A police officer may remove or cause the removal of a vehicle to the nearest garage or other place of safety as follows:

1. If a report has been made that the vehicle has been stolen or taken without the consent of its owner.

2. If the person or persons in charge of the vehicle are unable to provide for its custody or removal.

3. If the person driving or in control of the vehicle is arrested for an alleged offense for which the officer is required by law to take the person arrested before a proper magistrate without unnecessary delay.

4. If the vehicle is left unattended for more than four hours on the right-of-way of a freeway that has full control of access and no crossings at grade.

5. Within the boundaries of a city, if the vehicle is left unattended for more than two hours on the right-of-way of a freeway that has full control of access and no crossings at grade.

2 minutes ago, bigj23 said:

Yes, 28-872C4/5

28-872. Removal of vehicles; notice; liability for costs; hearing

Thank you! 👍 I had looked for that but none of my searches turned it up.

• Like 1

if your going to hunt deer between on the hill going up to sunset dont park there. however there is one spot that has a gate right there and a decent access off the highway(right at pipe line I think it is. they been cranking down on the people who park there for any purpose due to all the crashes and traffic, which is too bad that was a awsum hill to hunt from with the freeway access.

the hill from oak creek turnoff to just above stoneman lake turnoff, theres a few spots you can pull well off the highway shoulder and into the gravel. sometimes you will get a sticker sometimes they wont bother you.

Ive pull off to the center lane way off a few times and ran across the freeway to some areas I normally hunt above stoneman lake turnoff. good bear spots ;)

I have put a piece of paper on the windshield under the wiper saying, got ride to flag. buddy made the mistake of doing it on a nice piece of cardboard in black sharpie and when he got back there was a note on back of the card from  DPS saying "making signs from home dont count good luck!"

one thing you have to watch for is thieves.

3 hours ago, Squirrel n Dumplings said:

Does anyone know what the rules are for vehicle/ hunting access from highways?   Say  I-17.  Is it legal to park off the shoulder and hike in?  

Is there a requirement for parking a set distance from the shoulder?

I know that shoulder areas is for emergency parking I guess it depends how friendly the local DPS officer is.

I’ve never had a problem.  I guess I’ve been lucky.  When I park on the side of a highway or freeway, I park way off of it.  I think the DPS could take a look at it and instantly recognize it as a purposeful and not pick up on any risk or danger.  I’ve seen more Game and Fish at or near my parked vehicle in the field than any DPS or county on my parked in the ROW vehicle.  It could also be that I’m known in the regions I park.

52 minutes ago, Saguaro said:

I’ve never had a problem.  I guess I’ve been lucky.  When I park on the side of a highway or freeway, I park way off of it.  I think the DPS could take a look at it and instantly recognize it as a purposeful and not pick up on any risk or danger.  I’ve seen more Game and Fish at or near my parked vehicle in the field than any DPS or county on my parked in the ROW vehicle.  It could also be that I’m known in the regions I park.

wait! you saw game and fish in the field? its been 22 years since I've seen G&F in the field...

• Like 2

the troopers in the white mountains tolerate parking next to hiway 60 east of show low because of the habitat area.  i have gotten nasty notes elsewhere but that was like twice in a lifetime.  both times making it easier for 10-12 year olds.

lee

ps  early 1990's i remember carrying jumpers cables out to side of hiway 60 at the Bourden windmill.  i still see that old guy who stopped and thank him every time.  

19 minutes ago, AZLance said:

wait! you saw game and fish in the field? its been 22 years since I've seen G&F in the field...

That's funny but what's even funnier is I see more BP agents sitting at the check station on highway 83 at any given time then there are WM's to cover all of region V.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, AZLance said:

I rarely see them.  A few times I’ve seen them drive up to and stop at my vehicle while I’m glassing.

I can understand law enforcement not tolerating too much people parked on I 17.  It would be a parking lot with the 500+ permits in 6A because I know of one hot spot right next to the freeway that isn’t a secret to anyone.

27 minutes ago, AZLance said:

last time was officer Mike Godwin checking licenses at show low lake about midnight in 2003.

and some kind of 'check station'/roadblock in 3B 2005.

• Haha 1