Sign in to follow this  
muley224

surrendered tag call 2 years in a row

2 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Why don’t you accept them then?

Kinda tough for me to put a hunt together in 1 or 2 days. No scouting, getting the camp together, shooting etc. I am a business owner and with the holiday weekend have some help gone. Believe me, I have only wanted 1 Antelope tag in my life. Want to do it right and not by myself. My hunting buddy  cannot go on such short notice. I'm sure that many of you would jump at the hunt if offered, but it would not be a smart move for me right now. I have waited this long. Maybe someone on here will get a call and be excited to go. Just don't want to waste the tag by being unprepared. I guess that we are all different in our thoughts on this but that is why we are all different.   

• Like 6

Are you in max point for said tag?  With 26 if you aren’t in max it would still be a miracle for you to be second in line twice! If you’re max or close to it I’d do the same.  Antelope hunting is best done before the season and then kill on opening am.   Most antelope hunts I’ve done I take off all my time leading up to the hunt and then only allow the first day or two max to actually hunt as I plan to be done on opening am.  Always turns into a sh1tshow in the first hour and the best bucks are all dead just after daylight

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

What unit was it for?  Wondering if I have a shot w. 26 points....

459307715_giphy-2020-06-11T171003_597.gif.1f08867a5b3bd1bd3fc0097f0082b506.gif

Unit 10 2nd choice.

Jeff - You're right, it was incredibly hot up in 10. I finally drew the tag with 25 pts. I shot the herd buck I had wanted. Turned out to have a broken prong, the other was 7 inches! Scored just a tad under 80. 

2 hours ago, Sam said:

Jeff - You're right, it was incredibly hot up in 10. I finally drew the tag with 25 pts. I shot the herd buck I had wanted. Turned out to have a broken prong, the other was 7 inches! Scored just a tad under 80. 

Was this the buck?

received_737516776793573.thumb.jpeg.7f73a6d6400b1256c5b492af5f52bc3e.jpeg

received_309826880281768.thumb.jpeg.512b07993891689ca962b105c889a519.jpeg

On 9/2/2020 at 10:56 AM, muley224 said:

Just received the call from AZGFD for the 2nd year in a row. Offered me a Goat tag for my 2nd choice. Last year it was 1 week before the hunt and I passed. This year only 2 days before the hunt. Passed again. With no time for scouting and properly preparing thought it was not feasible. Give me at least 1 month next time and I will go !

I think next year you should plan on going antelope hunting just in case. That way you'll be ready when you get offered another rejected tag a week before the hunt starts. 

36 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

Was this the buck?

received_737516776793573.thumb.jpeg.7f73a6d6400b1256c5b492af5f52bc3e.jpeg

received_309826880281768.thumb.jpeg.512b07993891689ca962b105c889a519.jpeg

Yes! There were 19 does with it and no other bucks. So unusual for up there. When I saw herds of 15 or more, there was always another smaller buck or two. The small herds of 4 or 5, had just one buck. I really could not pass it up with the mass. And it was over 90 degrees and dry as could be. I will post a story and some pics when I finish wrapping the meat......

Would you have shot it? Just curious?

• Like 1

We spent a lot of time in 10 in '15 and '17 and based on what we were seeing in '15, not a top 5 buck but definitely a contender in '17.  For me it depends on what you are seeing and if you are happy. Beautiful heavy buck- congratulations!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sam said:

Yes! There were 19 does with it and no other bucks. So unusual for up there. When I saw herds of 15 or more, there was always another smaller buck or two. The small herds of 4 or 5, had just one buck. I really could not pass it up with the mass. And it was over 90 degrees and dry as could be. I will post a story and some pics when I finish wrapping the meat......

Would you have shot it? Just curious?

For me, in that unit, yes.  I would have shot him too.

I had a buddy whose daughter had that hunt, and they were after that same buck opening morning, almost got a 350 yard shot early, but he would not present a decent shot.  Congrats on a great buck.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

For me, in that unit, yes.  I would have shot him too.

I had a buddy whose daughter had that hunt, and they were after that same buck opening morning, almost got a 350 yard shot early, but he would not present a decent shot.  Congrats on a great buck.

Over the last 4 years, it seems like this unit has decreased in quality. Still some great bucks, but just fewer and farther in between. Is your friend still up there?