down2hunt

Rut Activity

1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

Thats fuckin bs man.  Any official to do anything AZ I would think would not pull this shoot a day before a hunt.   Makes me wonder if it's rez folk pushing bulls back "home".  Absolutely report it. And post back!

Well they’re probably pissed that az guides are sneaking over and killing their elk 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Wow! 1

21 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Well they’re probably pissed that az guides are sneaking over and killing their elk 

Cant argue with logic.  But they should be pushing all the bulls out of top tier units like 4b and all the poachers in the heber area.   

• Like 1

I had an archery bull tag in 10 a few years ago and the first 8 days or so it was about 88 degrees and no bugles or elk movement.  Then awoke to temp drop and light drizzle and it was like God flipped a switch and elk were bugling and everywhere.  Got to experienced what real elk hunting was all about.  All you guys with tags hang tough and pray for a weather change to spur some activity.  Best of luck to all of you.

• Like 1

Had like a 370 bull come down the draw tonight with 6 cows. They circled the tank like 3 times and never came closer than 100yds. Heartbreaking. Also he was just beating those cows up with his antlers. Good sign it should be starting soon in 7west. 

• Like 4

Updates from  the Show low area: we have heard a handful of bugles the last couple days early in the morning but they seem to shut up around 8am. Seeing bulls with cows, bulls with bulls, and cows alone. 0-10 on the rut scale, if 0 is bulls mounting other bulls and 10 is non-stop bugle fest from dawn to dusk, I think we are about a 2.5...

Opening morning we had a couple of bulls including the one below in a canyon that must have had a hot cow in it. They were going nuts! But it lasted for about an hour or two and then shut off. We had them at about 100 yards before bumping them. 

• Like 3

7west is still dead. Chased a 320 class bull this morning with his cows and he barely bugled other than that its silent.  Saw cows alone also. My buddy in unit 9 said its a bugle fest there. Don't see it cooling down or any rain in the forecast so we will see what happens 

I’m seeing plenty of bulls but man, they are dinks and they aren’t talking a lot. I saw herd of about 100 cows yesterday and the biggest bull was a weird 6x7 

starting to wonder if the piss poor feed messed up the cows estrus cycle, possible? I haven’t seen any grammar grass

2 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

I’m seeing plenty of bulls but man, they are dinks and they aren’t talking a lot. I saw herd of about 100 cows yesterday and the biggest bull was a weird 6x7 

starting to wonder if the piss poor feed messed up the cows estrus cycle, possible? I haven’t seen any grammar grass

I'm getting some pretty big dead bull text 

• Like 2

Been finally seeing some nice bulls. This morning was awesome. Cows chirping and bulls fighting. I had a decent 6x6 come over to me. I had to scare him off so I could get a shot at the bull that just whooped his but. Got busted by some mule bucks that were hanging out with the elk. 6x6 kept coming back to fight me so we had to pull back. 

• Like 4
  • Wow! 1

24 minutes ago, idgaf said:

I'm getting some pretty big dead bull text 

That’s good to hear. I was only able to come mess around on Sunday. Maybe next Sunday I will see some