down2hunt

Rut Activity

Been after this guy for a few days. Finally put him to bed this morning. I sat on him all day and rushed my stalk due to some road hunters hearing his bugles. Hopefully he comes back. 

Every time he would try to mount a cow they'd run off and he get pissed and charge the other cows and destroy every tree around him. There is still little to no action from 0900 to 1630. 

Don't know why its upside-down. 20200917_155145.thumb.jpg.743f820776a49f4b9f995ee41e4a65d5.jpg20200917_155149.thumb.jpg.e05ae360a80d873bd7d8528b39986e70.jpg20200917_155224.thumb.jpg.97a5ae3945b57f0e9feb4fd939d6516b.jpg20200917_155759.thumb.jpg.4c8d4e9190d427babf2d6275be8dd5e0.jpg20200917_155745.thumb.jpg.b9e1c74b7c8cec75fc849820f64fcd70.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, moorehunter86 said:

Unit 8 on fire, found and viewed 7 different rutting bulls, multiple bugles. I live in 11m and all night long bugles outside the house windows. 

Crazy cuz 7west is dead. We hear 1 or 2 bugles before the sun comes up then silence. We have seen some good bulls though and they have all had cows a couple of them had 30 cows. Sitting water in the evenings and nothing. All of our cameras have bulls on them hitting water at 1 to 3am. We have gotten close spot and stalk hopefully one of our stalks works out or things get better as far as the rut goes. Good luck everyone!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, moorehunter86 said:

Unit 8 on fire, found and viewed 7 different rutting bulls, multiple bugles. I live in 11m and all night long bugles outside the house windows. 

I heard 8 was typically a quiet unit?

• Confused 1

Unit 1 has had steady bugles since the beginning of the hunt but tonight things turned up a notch. It’s starting to get crazy. I passed a double main beam 6 at 530 pm. Prolly regret it. Few hours of sleep then back at it. 

• Like 1

The elk got the jump on me this morning. I could never get in front of them. Cows still not giving it up. Bulls shut down around 8. I did get to see my #1 and 2 bulls fighting. That alone has made the trip worth it so far. I know where the are bedded again so hopefully they will follow the same route back out. 

• Like 2

4A has been very quiet.  Finally heard the first bugle Monday morning, but not much after 8am.  Then hear them again around 6pm but not for very long.  This year is pretty weird.  All of our honey holes are quiet.  We're seeing them pretty regularly from about 6am-8am, but after that can't find them any where like we usually do every other year.  Seeing a lot of bears though and it's been a lot warmer than usual.

8 is still hot in pockets. When a cow starts to go into heat that pocket gets wound up and makes a fun day. Starting to hear more bugles later in the morning so peak rut just about in. Big bulls moving in on herds and taking over for the smaller bulls. Saw someone's blood trail this morning on my morning run in 11m. Hope they find it! 

7 minutes ago, moorehunter86 said:

8 is still hot in pockets. When a cow starts to go into heat that pocket gets wound up and makes a fun day. Starting to hear more bugles later in the morning so peak rut just about in. Big bulls moving in on herds and taking over for the smaller bulls. Saw someone's blood trail this morning on my morning run in 11m. Hope they find it! 

Maybe it was a bull that got gored 

I followed it for a bit but thought I would not want to spook it up for someone to have to trail farther. I waited to see if anyone came on it or not. Will look tomorrow. 

• Like 3

Just now, moorehunter86 said:

I followed it for a bit but thought I would not want to spook it up for someone to have to trail farther. I waited to see if anyone came on it or not. Will look tomorrow. 

Good call. 

5 hours ago, moorehunter86 said:

I haven’t seen 1 elk yet in unit 8