down2hunt

Rut Activity

On 9/18/2020 at 4:24 PM, deerslayer23 said:

I haven’t seen 1 elk yet in unit 8

We’ve been here since Wednesday and have seen at least a couple every day.  No big herds though and they’ve been pretty quiet where we’re at too.  Got a bunch of night time movement on trail cam, mostly going to and from water.

i called in a little bull that was bugling up a storm to about 8 yards the other day and stalked a couple spike bulls the day before that.  

This has been the quietest elk rut I’ve ever seen, but this is also the first time Ive hunted 8.  I’m sure there’s better spots it’s a big unit.  Should’ve done more scouting I guess 

2 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

I hope this isn’t the “new normal”. Are we Colorado elk rut now? 

No. Other units have been on fire 

8 minutes ago, oz31p said:

No. Other units have been on fire 

It certainly wasn’t “on fire” where I was. it’s the quietest and slowest rutting action I’ve ever seen. And I’ve never seen it slow. I’ve heard of slow ruts, but I’ve never seen one where I hunt. Till this year 

all that said I could chargecollector777’d. The biggest bull I’ve ever seen last night in my headlights. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

It certainly wasn’t “on fire” where I was. it’s the quietest and slowest rutting action I’ve ever seen. And I’ve never seen it slow. I’ve heard of slow ruts, but I’ve never seen one where I hunt. Till this year 

all that said I could chargecollector777’d. The biggest bull I’ve ever seen last night in my headlights. 

Sometimes when there”slow” you can get them fired up.  When nothing’s happening you got to make shoot happen

• Like 1

7west is the worst I've ever seen it and I know the whole unit very well.  We have people in all different parts of the unit and once and a while in the dark before sunrise you might hear 1 or 2 bugle and then its complete silence. Other units may be a little better but not 7west. 

I talked to a biologist from AZGFD this past weekend. They just received a study back showing elk are susceptible to a strain of COVID which causes the cows to not cycle. Might be a big part of the problem!!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, oz31p said:

Sometimes when there”slow” you can get them fired up.  When nothing’s happening you got to make shoot happen

I didn’t have any problem getting on elk. But the fact still remains that it was the Slowest and quietest rutting action that I’ve ever seen in my area. 

The rain and cooler temps didn't really do anything here. They are bugling now, bit I didn't bring my night vision with me. Hopefully things will be better in the morning. I'm shooting the first elk with antlers I see now. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rossislider said:

I talked to a biologist from AZGFD this past weekend. They just received a study back showing elk are susceptible to a strain of COVID which causes the cows to not cycle. Might be a big part of the problem!!! 

are they wearing masks, are they practicing social distancing,have they secured their mail in voting ballots?

Thats their problem

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ctafoya said:

The rain and cooler temps didn't really do anything here. They are bugling now, bit I didn't bring my night vision with me. Hopefully things will be better in the morning. I'm shooting the first elk with antlers I see now. 

I heard it was going pretty good in 1 

1 hour ago, Beaton said:

7west is the worst I've ever seen it and I know the whole unit very well.  We have people in all different parts of the unit and once and a while in the dark before sunrise you might hear 1 or 2 bugle and then its complete silence. Other units may be a little better but not 7west. 

I tagged out in 5bs Friday then scouted 7w Saturday and Sunday. There’s we’re going pretty good in the middle of the unit. 

58 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

I didn’t have any problem getting on elk. But the fact still remains that it was the Slowest and quietest rutting action that I’ve ever seen in my area. 

95CBCD03-640C-407D-9040-1AA89EF671FC.jpeg