down2hunt

Rut Activity

I don’t think September elk is hard by any means, depending on the persons standards. I think it’s fun. Did you post a pic of your bull oz I didn’t see it or were you  helping someone 

6 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

I don’t think September elk is hard by any means, depending on the persons standards. I think it’s fun. Did you post a pic of your bull oz I didn’t see it or were you  helping someone 

It was my tag. I did not post it.

40 minutes ago, oz31p said:

I tagged out in 5bs Friday then scouted 7w Saturday and Sunday. There’s we’re going pretty good in the middle of the unit. 

5bsouth is my favorite unit but we like 7west as well my son drew the tag. We are seeing elk but it just hasn't worked out. Im sure there are pockets that they are talking better than others but we haven't found that yet. Congratulations on filling your tag!

Exactly keep hunting Get R Done - Really you’re hunting!!!!!!!

9 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

I heard it was going pretty good in 1 

Maybe over closer to big lake. It's not terrible where i am. I see nice bulls everyday. Just not as active as the last time I had this hunt. 

17 hours ago, SwampMafia said:

The rut in 5bs has been insanely good. Comparable to 2018 3c 

That's lucky where I've been in 5bn I haven't found any great rutting pockets yet... at least during daylight. Seems a lot that I've talked to are in the same boat. 

I got this guy chasing cows on 9.11, had several pictures of him hounding the group of cows and him buggling in a couple shots. Only heard a few bugles that weekend, pretty slow due to Temps I believe.

8902.jpeg

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, RodinAZ said:

I got this guy chasing cows on 9.11, had several pictures of him hounding the group of cows and him buggling in a couple shots. Only heard a few bugles that weekend, pretty slow due to Temps I believe.

8902.jpeg

No means no!!

My son had an archery bull tag in Unit 8 last fall, he wasn't able to arrow a bull. It was quieter than we'd have liked and certainly much quieter than most of the other rut timed hunts for elk I'd experienced previously. There was decent water levels in the tanks we checked and hunted around. What's the tank water situation in 8 this year?

10 minutes ago, AZJR said:

My son had an archery bull tag in Unit 8 last fall, he wasn't able to arrow a bull. It was quieter than we'd have liked and certainly much quieter than most of the other rut timed hunts for elk I'd experienced previously. There was decent water levels in the tanks we checked and hunted around. What's the tank water situation in 8 this year?

There is plenty of water, but a lot of the small tanks are drying up fast.

21 hours ago, AZJR said:

Its a sit water hunt this year.

Really good morning. The big bulls squared off again. Almost got in on the one I wanted. I hate cows. Hate em. I'm getting a cow tag next year so I can get revenge.  Followed them all around the mountain as they were fighting and screaming. The bull i really wanted should be safe the rest of the year. He broke off two thirds of his right side, but he won the fight this time. During all of this I re aggravated my left hip. Had trouble just getting back to the truck. Hunts over for me. Good luck to everyone still trying to close the deal today. 

• Like 4

Well got on a really big bull this morning. Dropped my son off at 4am and hiked back in to where we knew they went everyday. Im back glassing from far away and it barely gets to where I can see and there they are. Then a guy in a grey dodge pulls up behind me and I wave him off. He stops and glasses the elk.  Then he pulls up and says to me thats a giant and I said yes he is and my son is set up on him back there. He say ok and I continue to glass and he drives off. Then the elk spook 15 minutes later so im waiting for my son. And he comes out and says the elk were 120yd walking right to me and I was gonna have a good shot at the big bull and then o heard someone cow calling and they spooked. That guy drove 200. Yds from the elk in his truck and cow called and blew them out. My son was furious. I went and told him how I felt about it considering I told him my son was in there. He said nothing back to me. That was ridiculous!

• Sad 1