Hullensian

Seeking advice from north country archers

Hoping to start a discussion on technique. 

Ive had a little success spot and stalk couse with a rifle. 3 years into archery hunting and I’ve spotted but not successfully stalked anything with my bow down here in S. AZ. 

spent 3 days in 6A  M, T, W but had no idea what I was doing. Country was mostly flat (few cuts and small rises) with lots of tanks a riduculous amount of elk and some 100-200 foot high hills. Mostly tall ponderosa with some dense patches of oak. Didn’t find much deer sign in the flats, sat a couple tanks one evening and one morning - nothing but elk.  

last morning (0800) walked up a hill and found some fresh deer scat and tracks heading higher. It appeared as though a couple had bedded in a large (20x20 foot) opening 1/2 way up the hill then woke up and walked up hill?

my novice N AZ hunter friends (they’ve had no success either) say they still-hunt but I know the odds of that are really low (according to Robbie Denning). 

so the question is simple how do y’all do the north country mule deer archery thing when you can’t spot and stalk?  Or do you just find country you can spot and stalk up there?!

thanks guys.  Ive read as much of this forum as I can and it has been a great help.

Where do you live?

Planning on moving north soon and got a lot to learn on tje northern units,  but if you wanna come south i will try n help ya. 

You responded to my thread in the campfire. Was in 20 yards of a forky that i passed on and had a chance at a great buck at last light that day.

Imo, its easier to cut your teeth on easier units and build confidence.  

The more stocks you get under your belt the more you will learn about how to stock them. Mind the wind and cover and start learning. Also sitting water at first can be productive, but won't teach you how to do spot and stock. You will hopefully get some interactions will animals and learn some behaviors though. Take your pick....

2 hours ago, HyNoon said:

The more stocks you get under your belt the more you will learn about how to stock them. Mind the wind and cover and start learning. Also sitting water at first can be productive, but won't teach you how to do spot and stock. You will hopefully get some interactions will animals and learn some behaviors though. Take your pick....

I agree. I would definitely like to get more stalks in. Finding a buck to stalk is the challenge. I know how to do the glassing game down here in the open country. But I’m curious how y’all find the deer up north. 

I saw some off the road last November going back and forth to my Elk hunts and they seemed to be in cuts or gullys around oak thickets.