Sign in to follow this  
EarlyBronco

Good Remington 1100 gunsmith?

I have an 1100 I received as a gift about 15 years ago from my grandpa, it has jammed since the first day I got it and still does, I have changed trigger assembly all springs and barrel and still jams, does anybody know somebody who could fix it? I’ve taken it to a few different gunsmiths payed them and still jams, any help would be appreciated, probably has less than 500 rounds out of it 

They generally dont Jam, even with light loads. more than likely its your gas rings, there broken or put in incorrectly.

what loads are you using in it.

Unscrew the forarm and take a picture of it lets see what the rings look like.

And have you tried both? Shoot some 2 3/4” bird shot (7 or 8 shot) and then shoot some 3” buckshot. Tell me if it jams with both. 

24 minutes ago, Delw said:

They generally dont Jam, even with light loads. more than likely its your gas rings, there broken or put in incorrectly.

what loads are you using in it.

Unscrew the forarm and take a picture of it lets see what the rings look like.

I looked on Facebook and Twitter and del was right.....

In all seriousness mine wouldn't eject a shell worth a dam and the orings were shot. 5 dollar fix.

I have changed o rings and shoot high brass and low brass loads, shot cheap bullets and expensive Bullet’s and still the same result , I’ve cleaned it spotless, I’ve ran it dry, ran it with oil, nothing has worked yet. It’s a classic trap model and only shoots 2-3/4

So will it shoot the 1st round but jam with the 2nd round trying to chamber after 1st round ejects?

10 minutes ago, DUG said:

So will it shoot the 1st round but jam with the 2nd round trying to chamber after 1st round ejects?

Yes sometime it will shoot and just leave the chamber open and the next she’ll won’t even come out of the magazine tube like it thinks it out of shells, and sometime it shoots and tries to bring the next she’ll up but jams the new shell

My 12 and 20 1100 shoot like a dream! Not cleaned much and never abused. Hoping they shoot well tomorrow or they’ll make a liar out of me! Either way. I really want to complete the 1100 collection! 410, 28 (I think rem made one?) 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hawkruiz69 said:

Yes sometime it will shoot and just leave the chamber open and the next she’ll won’t even come out of the magazine tube like it thinks it out of shells, and sometime it shoots and tries to bring the next she’ll up but jams the new shell

next time you take the trigger assembly out and the bolt out. look at the shell catch(for lack of better term and see if its broken.

its about 4 inches long on the right side of the reciever down low, see if broke or loose.

basically its spring metal that is staked in, in 4 spots. if its broke or loose that may cause a jam.

I havent had any of mine part in forever so I might be forgetting sme things. I'll see if I can find a print online somehwere.

generally the only thing that causes jams on a 1100 is the gas rings.  but broken parts do as well but its rare.

• Like 1

Then look at these 3 items I circled in red.

also the bottom Latch could be an issue but I doubt it(ie bent or broken)

24668.gif

rem1100.jpg

I had a similar problem and brought it to the gunsmith at rio salado gun range (Accuracy Speaks was the name but the gunsmith that worked on it has since passed away). He ended up drilling an extra gas port for me and said early model 1100’s had a problem cycling because the gas port was drilled too small. Whatever the reason was, it has worked perfectly fine since drilling the second gas port. 

53 minutes ago, Hawkruiz69 said:

Check the magazine follower. The little cap where you load shells into the magazine, could be cracked. Happened on my LT-20 and it would not let shells load out of the mag.

• Like 1