Sign in to follow this  
azcountryboy

2020 archery buck

I recently was able to take my best archery mule deer to date and quite possibly the best buck that I'll ever take. The target buck was a 4x5 with an inline on his left main beam. My brother in law and nephew were scouting for elk when they found this deer. They placed some cameras at a nearby water source and to their surprise he showed up. Not once, not twice but three consecutive days the week of opening archery deer. He hit water in the middle of the night before opening morning and didn't show up til 3 days later on Sunday evening. I got in the blind around 4:30pm Sunday evening. It was windy and sprinkling rain and I remember thinking to myself that there wasn't a chance the deer would show up in these conditions. Around 6pm the wind died down and it got real calm. A large group of doves flew in and fed/watered at the tank. Out of the corner of my eye I caught some movement. I immediately knew they were deer and upon pulling up my binos confirmed that they were deer and that they were bucks. Then buck fever set in like I've never had it before. The lead buck was a two point followed by a decent 4x4 which I confirmed didn't have the extra on the left. Then I saw him, the very last buck in the bunch. The bucks filed in to the tank and I ranged the buck at 65 yards quartered to me as he began to drink. I drew my bow and sent one his way. The deer scattered and I quickly nocked another arrow. The buck ran to 90 and stopped. All I could see was his head. He didn't seem like he was hit, had I missed him completely? Should I send one at 90? Had I blown my chance at the buck? After what seemed like forever the bucks started back into water. I couldn't believe it but the 4x5 with them. He came back to the same spot, this time he was facing me head on. I ranged him again at 65 and when he bent down to drink I drew my bow and sent a second arrow. It hit its mark and the buck blew out and ran and I watched him crash after 80 or so yards. A special thanks to Blake, Tyler, and Matt for the chance at this deer and for letting me sit their blind. This buck belongs to us all, an experience that I won't soon forget...

18086.jpeg

19553.jpeg

19554.jpeg

18089.jpeg

19485.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Great Buck! 1
  • Wow! 1

Good job on an amazing Buck! Definitely once in a lifetime. Please let us know what he tapes out when you have a chance. I say he goes 198”🤙🏽🤘🏽